Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Help! Question about Britax Roundabout G4 install on plane

We flew across country yesterday to visit my sister-in-law and we will be returning next week. When I installed the Britax Roundabout RF, it looked a lot more upright than usual and when my daughter fell asleep her head kept falling down to her chest. The line wasn't parallel to the ground, but it looked okay (that line is in the middle of the 30-45 degree range, right? Kiddo is 16 months, so I figured she could be more upright?)

Anyway, when I went to uninstall it, I found that the seat wasn't in the fully-reclined position! It was in the semi-recline position, which I think is only for FF? But I had read on here that it should fit on a typical plane seat (Delta) and it just barely fit the way I had it, so I thought it must be correct and that it just looked more upright because of the plane seats.

She is under 20 lbs with clothes off, but probably over 20 lbs with clothes on . Should I FF her for the flight back?
    Last edited by Nedra; 07-23-2014 at 05:07 PM.
    Mama to G. (born March of 2013, riding FF in a Chicco MyFit, an IMMI Go, and a Britax Marathon)... and L. (born June of 2015, riding RF in a Graco Milestone, a Graco Extend-2-Fit 3-in-1 and a Graco SlimFit)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician

Re: Help! Question about Britax Roundabout G4 install on plane

I think the next recline position won't make much difference as far as the angle or the amount of front-back space. I expect it will still fit; it might be sort of wedged between the seat it's on and the seat in front.

At 16 months, if you want to FF on the plane, I wouldn't be too concerned about the safety... but personally, if it were me, I'd RF if at all possible. I find it to be much easier to tend to a young toddler on a plane if she is RF.
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

Quote Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
    I think the next recline position won't make much difference as far as the angle or the amount of front-back space. I expect it will still fit; it might be sort of wedged between the seat it's on and the seat in front.

At 16 months, if you want to FF on the plane, I wouldn't be too concerned about the safety... but personally, if it were me, I'd RF if at all possible. I find it to be much easier to tend to a young toddler on a plane if she is RF.
    Okay. I would prefer to RF too. But if I understand correctly, if I try RF and it doesn't fit, it is is still safer to FF than to RF on the "middle" recline setting?
    Mama to G. (born March of 2013, riding FF in a Chicco MyFit, an IMMI Go, and a Britax Marathon)... and L. (born June of 2015, riding RF in a Graco Milestone, a Graco Extend-2-Fit 3-in-1 and a Graco SlimFit)

Senior Community Member happiness-and-balance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedra View Post
    Okay. I would prefer to RF too. But if I understand correctly, if I try RF and it doesn't fit, it is is still safer to FF than to RF on the "middle" recline setting?
    Yes. The middle recline is FF only, and to use it RF would be significant misuse IMO. FF a 16 month-old (who, yes, may be a pound or two under the FF minimum) would be slight misuse, if she's not 22 lbs fully clothed, diapered and with a full belly, which she very well could be. I'd FF on the plane without a second thought before I'd install the seat on the middle recline. I know that misuse is misuse but given the two options, *I* would choose the latter. I do suspect that the seat will fit fully reclined though. I'd definitely try that first.
    -Angela

6. Thank You from:

Boarding the flight back. I couldn't even come close to wedging the seat in in the fully-reclined position. Even with reclining the airline seat, we couldn't even get the seat to sit flat on its base -- it was wedged in and tipped toward the airline seat.

:-(

So she's taking her first FF trip. I'm sad, but I'll deal. May look into what seats are better for RF airline travel.

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nedra View Post
    Boarding the flight back. I couldn't even come close to wedging the seat in in the fully-reclined position. Even with reclining the airline seat, we couldn't even get the seat to sit flat on its base -- it was wedged in and tipped toward the airline seat.

:-(

So she's taking her first FF trip. I'm sad, but I'll deal. May look into what seats are better for RF airline travel.
    Don't feel bad. She's still so safe just being harnessed on the plane. Honestly the recline is one of the reasons I didn't mind FF my under 2yo's on the plane. It was often more reclined FF than I could get it RF. (we had the older marathons, but also an Uptown for one of our travel seats.
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel