Question NEW HERE: 2013 Buick Verano Infant Seat Problems (Verano is the Buick version of Chevy Cruze)

chaneliebellie

This is my first post on this forum so bare with me. lol. We are needing some advice.
My husband and I purchased a 2013 Buick Verano last month. After some recommendations to use an infant seat instead of going straight to a convertible, I purchased a Safety First Onboard 35 infant seat that was on sale. I received it today and we immediately read the manual and did a "test install". Little did we know, fitting an infant seat in our new car would be a challenge. Using the latch system, we installed it in the rear middle seat and ensured that it was at the correct angle. In order for the infant seat and the car seats not to touch, the front car seats had to be moved up a substantial amount. To the point where I would not feel comfortable driving in that position (I am tall).
We also tried installing it in the rear passenger seat. This allowed the driver to be comfortable but the passenger would be crammed. The only concern with this is that the infant seat is not as safe it would be in the middle.
Someone recommended a Chicco Keyfit 30, Maxi Cosi Mico AP, or Peg Perego Primo Viaggio 4-35 but these are all WAY out of our price range. I am at a loss. Any suggestions?

Also, am I correct in thinking that the back of the infant seat and back of the car seats cannot come in contact with each other?

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Re: NEW HERE: 2013 Buick Verano Infant Seat Problems

Hello and welcome! I'm bumping up your post so that someone with the more knowledge can respond. :)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member

Welcome! Anyone with experience installing in the Verano's equivalent/similar Chevy Cruze corporate sibling could also probably help out with installation advice/compatibility suggestions for the Verano. I edited your thread's title accordingly to indicate the Verano is the Buick version of the Chevy Cruze for potential input from those with experience installing in the Cruze. :) I also want to add that a lower LATCH anchor installation isn't an allowable install in the center in the Verano/Cruz and you'll need to use the vehicle seatbelt for any install in the center. This is because GM only permits using lower LATCH anchors to install a carseat in vehicle seating positions equipped with a dedicated set of LATCH anchors, which are located on the rear passenger side and the rear driver's side in the Verano (and Cruze). While some carseat models do allow it, GM doesn't allow you to "borrow" the innermost lower LATCH anchor from each side of the back seat to do a LATCH install in the center.

tmahanes

I don't know how much difference there is between the Cruze and a Cobalt but the Cobalt is pretty small and we got a Snug Ride 35 in the Cobalt just fine in the center!

chaneliebellie

Welcome! Anyone with experience installing in the Verano's equivalent/similar Chevy Cruze corporate sibling could also probably help out with installation advice/compatibility suggestions for the Verano. I edited your thread's title accordingly to indicate the Verano is the Buick version of the Chevy Cruze for potential input from those with experience installing in the Cruze. :) I also want to add that a lower LATCH anchor installation isn't an allowable install in the center in the Verano/Cruz and you'll need to use the vehicle seatbelt for any install in the center. This is because GM only permits using lower LATCH anchors to install a carseat in vehicle seating positions equipped with a dedicated set of LATCH anchors, which are located on the rear passenger side and the rear driver's side in the Verano (and Cruze). While some carseat models do allow it, GM doesn't allow you to "borrow" the innermost lower LATCH anchor from each side of the back seat to do a LATCH install in the center.

You are totally correct. I just learned this tonight at babies r us (she was surprisingly knowledgeable). We went in to try the Chicco keyft 30 and left knowing that any center install would be with the seatbelt and borrowing latches is a "no no".

chaneliebellie

Also while at babies r us tonight, She gave us the impression that no matter what car seat we choose, a rear passenger install using the LATCH System would be safer than a rear center install using the seat belt. Especially since we have side air bags. Would you all agree?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
LATCH isn't technically safer than a seatbelt install or vice versa, provided that a proper install can be achieved with less than 1 inch of movement at the carseat's belt path using an allowed install method for the vehicle seating position. Side curtain airbags primarily provide added head and side impact protection for an adult sized passenger riding outboard who is tall enough to fully benefit from the side curtain airbag's deployment downward from the upper door frame/pillar over the vehicle window area during a side impact crash. The center spot in the back seat is considered technically safer if you can achieve a proper seatbelt install there because it's farther away from any potential side impact collision on either side. If you need to use the passenger side or driver's side to install to achieve a proper install, I wouldn't sweat it because your rear facing baby already has a tremendous safety advantage due to the physics and crash dynamics of rear facing, and either side is about equal to the other side in terms of statistical frequency of side impact collisions. http://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear-facing-is-better-your-rf-link-guide/ has a more thorough explanation of the safety benefits of rear facing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC