Recaro cupholders on Combo vs. Booster seats

rfk

Anyone have experience with the "mesh" cupholders on the Recaro Combination seat, and/or the integrated cupholders on the Recaro Booster?

The cupholders on the Booster strike me as well done - fixed & integrated into the seat. Reminds me of the cupholders you'll see on many harness/combo seats.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/RECARO-Performance-BOOSTER-Booster-Sapphire/dp/B00E6URANU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405955148&sr=8-1&keywords=recaro+booster"]Amazon.com : RECARO Performance BOOSTER High Back Booster Car Seat, Sapphire : Child Safety Booster Car Seats : Baby[/ame]

But I don't quite get the mesh cupholders on the Combination: is a child young enough to be harnessed supposed to navigate a sippy cup into that elastic/mesh-looking holder? Using two hands? Maybe I'm missing something obvious...?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Combination-Harness-Booster-Sapphire/dp/B00B507EQW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405955176&sr=8-1&keywords=recaro+combination"]Amazon.com : RECARO Performance SPORT Combination Harness to Booster, Sapphire : Child Safety Booster Car Seats : Baby[/ame]

ADS

sunnymw

No, you're not missing anything obvious. It leaves a lot to be desired. Jake sits next to a performance sport in an RSTV so he uses the one on that side and it works well for him. Mikah has a hard time reaching/using his from the seat.

ETA: I put a paper fast food cup in there once. It didn't go well.

rfk

No, you're not missing anything obvious. It leaves a lot to be desired. Jake sits next to a performance sport in an RSTV so he uses the one on that side and it works well for him. Mikah has a hard time reaching/using his from the seat.

ETA: I put a paper fast food cup in there once. It didn't go well.

Well thanks for the confirmation, the Recaro Combo seat just didn't look like a good design. (But the Recaro Booster looks pretty good.)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
We don't use the "cupholders" at all on our ProSport. I think they're supposed to be somewhat redesigned on the Performance Sport?

Nannykid (4y4m) can buckle himself into the seat, but I doubt he could navigate those mesh pockets for cups. He just hangs onto his sippy, or tucks it next to him in the seat... or throws it at me lol. (We have some attitude problems :/) He's also next to a MR or the door so he could access those cup holders if he cared to, but it's really been a non-issue for us. Then again, we only do short drives, no road trips or anything since he's not my kid, so that could potentially make a difference.

sunnymw

Well thanks for the confirmation, the Recaro Combo seat just didn't look like a good design. (But the Recaro Booster looks pretty good.)

Oh no, there are many things I absolutely LOOOOOVE about the seat. The cupholders just aren't on that list. If I had it to do over, I would still buy it.

rfk

I'm also not a big fan of Recaro's taxonomy -

The Performance Sport is actually the harness/booster combo, while the Performance Booster is the, well, booster.

Not familiar with the ProSport, maybe that was the predecessor to the Perf Sport?

I'll give Britax some credit, when you discuss "Frontier" or "Parkway" there's no doubt what each of those is (vs. the Performance Sport which is a booster combo, and the Performance Booster which is a booster). Sheesh.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
ProSport is the predecessor to the Performace Sport, yes. Very similar, just a handful of changes. Far more similar to each other than, say, the Frontier, Frontier85 & Frontier90, which are honestly all different beasts.

And I agree with Sunny, I LOVE my ProSport. Once nannykid went FF, I had no question what seat we would be using. There are reasons not to choose the seat, certainly, but having used a Nautilus (RIP awesome buckle,) Frontier & ProSport, it's my favorite. Its quirks are not enough to dissuade me but none of my kids have been off the charts for height or weight and I don't mind the strange serpentine install (in fact I kind of like it.)

jjordan

I love our Prosport, but the mesh pockets are really useless as cupholders. Sometimes they get used here as "small toy" holders. And actually if the seat is installed outboard, 3rd row in our van, then the rider can use the vehicle cupholders, so it's no big deal for us.

rfk

Thanks for the insight.

For twins in captains chairs in a minivan, I've been eagerly awaiting the updated Frontiers (click tight, and fixed, integrated cupholders). Those features will make life better for everyone...

kate4478

We love our Prosport! The cup holders are definitely useless! We have a plastic one for my DS that screws on! :O I made the parental decision to put the cup holder so I wasn't leaning back all the time to keep giving him his drink/food! It doesn't interfere with any part of the harnesses. It's just attached to the side. I will have to remove it once he uses it as a booster though.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

rfk

Oh no, there are many things I absolutely LOOOOOVE about the seat. The cupholders just aren't on that list. If I had it to do over, I would still buy it.

We have a Recaro Start in our other car, 3-across (not the minivan), and yes the design & quality are great. Narrow seat & armrests fit great in-between two Diono Radians. And the tether is very rare for that type of seat.

And I'm looking at the Recaro Booster for our oldest child in the minivan, 3rd row center - those fixed, integrated cupholders are unique.

But for the twins, in captains chairs in the minivan (oldest kid in 3rd row), those mesh cupholders are a non-starter. Kind of surprised Recaro did that.

bnsnyde

Our new Performance Recaro booster has soft inserts that come out in the cupholders. Smart design to clean!

I don't even let them put cups in there or anything hard. But those holes get hard to clean regardless. This is a neat design!

(Our Prosport combo seat...I don't think it has cupholders? I never remember them at least.) I think there is a mesh pocket or something we've never used. In my mind mesh would just stretch.

Edit: OMG those are cupholders??? I saw a pic. I NEVER knew that. I figured it was an odd useless mesh pocket. Who'd want to put something in mesh? But hey, I learned something.

bethng

Love our performance sport booster's cup holders and the inserts that come out. I can just stick them in the dishwasher when they get gross. That was one of my big things I was looking for when booster shopping lol. Good cup holders, LATCH capabilities and my sons request,...red.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC