Older CR-V vs Newer Accord?

NatesMamma

Next year, DH is going to be living/working 3.5 hours away from our home. This will be the arrangement for 1 full calendar year, and I expect that both he and I are going to be driving back and forth between the two cities A LOT. I feel very safe behind the wheel of my 2012 Odyssey, but I'm less than thrilled that he's planning to take a 2004 CR-V (SAB in the front but no curtain airbags anywhere).

What is your opinion on whether I should encourage him to upgrade his vehicle before he moves? His car of choice is likely to be a 1-2 year old Accord. Although we are in a good place financially, I know he would resist the idea of trading in his perfectly good vehicle. In fact, he has stated that he plans to "drive the wheels off it." We could afford a new car without difficulty. We could put about half the purchase price down + the trade-in and have the remainder paid off this fall. Our only debt is our mortgage and his grad school loan; he has a secure, well-paying job; and we have retirement plans and savings.

Is a newer Accord significantly more safe than a 10 year old CR-V for the driver?

ADS

cantabdad

Is a newer Accord significantly more safe than a 10 year old CR-V for the driver?

As you know, it's always hard to compare safety across different model years and vehicle categories. Some basic stats for comparison:

- IIHS gave the 2004 CR-V a Good rating on its frontal moderate-overlap crash test but only a Marginal rating for side impact. The newer Accords scored Good on both tests, and starting in 2013 the Accord also scored Good on the challenging frontal small-overlap test. (Not tested prior to that year.)

- On IIHS's list of driver death rates (fatalities per 1 million vehicle-years) from the model years 2005-2008, the Accord and CR-V are in the same general ballpark: 7 for the CR-V with 4WD, 19 for the Accord, and 22 for the CR-V with 2WD. The Accord has had some safety improvements since then, of course.

- Weights of the two vehicles are similar at around 3200-3300 lbs.

- Electronic Stability Control has proven to be a huge safety improvement and is now mandatory. But as of 2004, ESC was still not standard on the CR-V. Does yours have ESC?

It sounds like you're going to be logging thousands of miles over the coming year... possibly with some fatigue issues if you're doing some of these drives after a long workweek. I'd want something comfortable and safe and ideally fuel-efficient. If the CR-V doesn't have ESC, that would be disqualifying for me personally, but ultimately it is a judgment call.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The 2012+ Accord is the latest generation and also a pretty safe vehicle overall. It did well in the newer NHTSA testing that changed in 2011. Plus, it will have stability control and side curtain airbags standard. I'd say it is an improvement in safety, but perhaps not enough to warrant an upgrade if the CR-V is working well? Perhaps a top quality set of tires and hold off another year or two?

Or maybe consider something with better highway fuel economy? Prius, Passat Diesel, Camry/Accord/Fusion hybrids, Regal eAssist, Kia Optima or something like that?

NatesMamma

Thank you both for your replies! cantabdad, thank you for taking the time to look up those stats.

Our CR-V does not have ESC. Actually, I don't think ESC was offered on any CR-Vs for the 2004 MY. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. The car does have EBD, which I think should help somewhat to maintain control of the vehicle, though I realize it's not the same as ESC.

Also, the vehicle tested by IIHS was one without the front side airbags, which were optional on the lower trim that year. Our CR-V does have front SAB. Does anyone know if the SAB would improve the IIHS head injury measures at all?

Because the NHTSA and IIHS changed their tests and criteria since our CR-V came out, I'm really stumped as to how to compare the relative safety of the CR-V with a newer Accord. Our CR-V did very well in every way that it was tested, but I have no idea how it might fare using the newer, tougher tests. That worries me. However, it does run very well, is well maintained, and has only 80,000 miles on it. Perhaps I will float the idea of buying a newer car to DH, and if he totally shoots the idea down, then we can talk about the best ways to prepare the CR-V for the rigors of driving between the two cities next year, such as new tires and having a mechanic give it a good look.

cantabdad

Because the NHTSA and IIHS changed their tests and criteria since our CR-V came out, I'm really stumped as to how to compare the relative safety of the CR-V with a newer Accord. Our CR-V did very well in every way that it was tested, but I have no idea how it might fare using the newer, tougher tests.

NHTSA did totally revamp their tests around 2011, making it impossible to compare before and after. IIHS added the small overlap test, but I think (unless I am misreading their website) that their other tests have remained consistent. That might be your one way of comparing the two vehicles. There are also some publications online that estimate the impacts of ESC.

The more I think about it, keeping the CR-V isn't really an unacceptable risk and 80K miles is practically brand new for a Honda... but I was just thinking you might like something newer and more comfortable for all those long drives.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Since the long distance arrangement is limited, how about a 1-year or 2-year lease on a high fuel economy car?

You can usually get a Prius Two for $2000 down and $200 a month for 2 years. That's less than $10 a day for a pretty safe car that will get 50mpg or more.

A Honda Civic base model is nicely equipped and has very good crash results too. Almost 40mpg highway. They have even cheaper lease deals like $150 a month, but in my area they are 3 years. Not sure how much more it would be for a 1- or 2-year lease. The 4-cylinder Mazda 6 gets 40mpg highway and gets pretty good crash test results also if you want a midsize. The 4-cylinder Accord you mentioned is 36 mpg highway and top crash results, too. Both are around the same lease price as the Prius here for a base model with automatic.

Then you aren't making a final decision until afterward. Just a thought!

NatesMamma

Well! Last week, I very casually mentioned the idea of getting a new car to DH, he pounced on the idea, and a shiny 2013 Accord was sitting in our driveway by Saturday evening! I was shocked! LOL

Thanks again for the replies!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC