minivans safer than SUVs??

Tabatha

Someone had posted a comment on another thread here that SUVs are "less safe" and have more maintenance problems than minivans in general. We have looked into a Chevy suburban/gmc Yukon xl and have found that they actually have less maintenance problems than a Toyota sienna or honda odyssey. I realize that the other poster was speaking generally and I'm asking specifically, but can anyone back that information up? What about safety?
I also have an unrelated question, don't seatbelts have to be bolted into the frame of the car to be safe? Sorry if I'm wrong but I thought I'd read that somewhere before. Would seatbelts that only attach to the vehicle seat be safe? Thanks :)

ADS

tl01

It really depends upon which SUV and which minivan... But in general, minivans have an advantage in possible rollover situation. A minivan's lower center of gravity makes it less likely to rollover. Also, the new small overlap crash test is a hard one for many vehicles and I haven't seen any results for it for the new suburbans that just came out. The odyssey is one particular minivan that does great across all the current crash tests including the challenging small overlap (beginning in 2014). We used to have a nice big SUV but switched a minivan. The current version of the SUV we used to have now passes the small overlap test and I would consider it again at some point in the future... But I wouldn't just pick a suburban or similar thinking it is the safest option. Also... I'm guessing here now... But big SUVs also likely have longer stopping distances... I would have to compare each individual option though to be sure

Another important component to consider is how many top tethers a vehicle has and their positions for any forward facing harnessed seats. The number of tethers varies from vehicle to vehicle.

DawgDad

I would love to see where there is a lower overall cost to a Suburban/Yukon XLs than an Odyssey or Sienna. First off, the SUVs are starting off $17,000 more on sticker and get lower mpg (3-4 mpg worse on combined city/hwy driving). Those alone would make an SUV cost WAY more than an Odyssey before we get into the benign "which car has less maintenance".

Highest Trim level comparison:
Honda Odyssey Touring Elite - $44,450
Chevy Suburban XL LTZ - $61,700 (apparently it starts there, so there is more to add)

The safety scores speak for themselves...the minivan is the safest. It's important to note that safety standards haven't been as strict on the SUVs for years, so older models won't have as many apples-to-apples comparison given that SUVs didn't have to have as many safety features.

If you need a car for 4WD and to carry a bunch of people, then get the Suburban, but if you need to carry a bunch of people safely (especially children), then the minivan is the best option.

Tabatha

Great thank you! That's good information, we currently have a suburban but I'm already thinking about our next vehicle purchase. I just really prefer an American made car, but have heard terrible things about the dodge and Ford minivans and nothing about the Chevy version. Crossovers seem the best (gmc acacia/chevy traverse), but I'm not sure they would suit our needs.

Jackie010307

I recently went from an 06 odyssey to an 11 traverse. I don't have kids in car seats anymore, just 1 booster rider, but if there's any questions you have about comparing the two I'll help where I can!

DawgDad

If it helps, the Odysseys are probably more American made than Ford or GM products. They are all manufactured in Alabama...

Jackie010307

It depends on which model you look at. Some "American made" manufacturers do all or the majority of their assembly here, but with parts from other countries. Many GM models have engines from Mexico. The odyssey is all assembled here with parts mostly from Japan. Really it's gotten to the point that most manufacturers do about the same percentage of American made and either way the people seeing most of the profit are already millionaires.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
If it helps, the Odysseys are probably more American made than Ford or GM products. They are all manufactured in Alabama...

Depends on the product of course, but GM and Ford have many products with significant domestic content and domestic value added due to agreements with domestic union suppliers. Many brands from foreign companies are primarily final assembly, with significant content and value added from overseas. I've owned two Odysseys, but not for domestic content reasons;-)

Unfortunately, it's difficult to prove one way or the other, but I'd still put my money on GM or Ford if my intent was to buy American. There are exceptions, of course.

Tabatha, though Chrysler is technically no longer American, the Dodge Durango is a very nice larger midsize crossover and still made in Michigan. Might also be worth a look.

As for seatbelts, some are anchored to structural locations on a pillar, floor or reinforced portion of the vehicle seat assembly. They are all designed to restrain a very heavy occupant and far more than necessary to secure any child safety seat, regardless of where they are anchored.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC