Question Car seat for cousin in Italy

laurengt

My cousin is in the Navy stationed in Italy. His dad wants to buy them a car seat and asked me for help. I know little about European seat regulations other than that they are more strict than ours and generally seats are not interchangeable. I'm open to any info in this topic as I'm totally at a loss. I read that Italian seat laws are so seldom followed that they could probably use a us seat that could be used here too but it's technically illegal. Where would one go to buy a European seat from the us? (I'd assume buy online and ship to their home in Italy).

Any specific seat recs? For a newborn; bucket & convertible.

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
You can buy seggiolini by many of the same big brands as here (Chicco, Peg, Britax Roemer, Cybex) in addition to some we know here but don't typically see (or see anymore) or don't see at all (Inglesina, Bebe Confort, Nania, Jane') ... The same rules apply: fits the car, fits the budget, fits the child. Since it's an ECE country, I'd likely be tempted to go the Swedish extended rear-facing route after group 0 or 0+.

Military can also typically use US seats, if that's under consideration...?

-N.

aporthole

If they plan to have more kids and the seat may be reused in the future in the US, I would only consider getting a US seat (legal to use there for stationed US military). Many US online stores like Amazon.com will ship to military bases.

newyorkDOC

If they are military they can legally use American seats. Keep in mind that with the exception of Swedish seats, car seats generally max out RF at 13 kg at best. Most Italians turn their kids at 9 kg. the new I-size regulation requires RF until 15m but I-size is not yet obligatory.

Also, with the exception of the Swedish britax two way elite, all seats max out on harnessing FF at 18 kg. You're only option after that is a booster. A few seats (particularly Swedish seats) harness RF to 25 kg.

I'm American and I live in Milan. I've got a TWE I bought from car-seat.se and a hauck varioguard I got off Amazon uk.

NVMBR02

If they are military they can legally use American seats. Keep in mind that with the exception of Swedish seats, car seats generally max out RF at 13 kg at best. Most Italians turn their kids at 9 kg. the new I-size regulation requires RF until 15m but I-size is not yet obligatory.

Yep. We were stationed there (near Venice) for 3 years when dd1 was born and a baby. We decided to use American seats, since the plan was to return to the states and I wanted to use the seats for future children. I bought the seats online through a website shipped to an APO address. The base exchange didn't carry much for seats (or any baby gear) at the time.

I totally took advantage of the European strollers though. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC