Need a different car for twins coming

D

Devinf

My wife and I recently found out we are having twins, we also have a 4 year old and 17 month old. Right now we have a traverse with captains chairs so we are going to have to get something different. I would like to put twins in the second row next each other so I can flip a seat and have easy access to buckle the 17month old in the third row. The 4 year old can buckle herself with no problem , so she will go in the third row as well. Is a Honda odyssey the only car that I can put 2 car seats next to each other and fold an outboard seat to give me access to the third row? Can a person reach the 3rd row of an odyssey from the ground outside? Better yet what cars would you recommend? I have also been looking at conversion vans so I am open to anything.

Thanks,
Devin

ADS

zavyirsdaddy

I'm not sure why with 4 children you'll have to get something other than the traverse. We have 5, 2 (sometimes 3) in carseats and were looking into the traverse as a new vehicle. I have a trailblazer right now that has 3rd row and I love it. I can put 3 across in the middle or 2 next to eachother and flip the "40" part of the seat. Other than that, we've looked at the ford flex and the acadia (same as the traverse).

MommyShannon

I don't know what all fits that, but the Ody is certainly a nice choice. The 2011+ models would let you find a combination to still flip an outboard seat or you could remove one seat. The 2006-2010, let you slide a captain's chair over to create an aisle but it's not as wide as removing or flipping a seat in the 2011+. I am short and just put a knee down in my 2006 and can easily buckle a child in the 3rd row outboard. However, assuming your 17 month old will be rearfacing another year or two, I found it easy to put a RF seat in the 3rd and load through the back hatch or just climb into the 3rd row and sit on the edge of the bench beside the car seat.

hkllgg

I honestly love my Flex. I usually have 3 in carseats and a booster in there. (2 of the 3 in seats are not mine.) I have no issues with fitting 5 kids in there. If you want a van, go for it...I am just not a van person.

kathysr98

If you like owning an SUV or CUV, the Flex is a good choice. The second row is wide enough that you should be able to put two seats in it & still fold the 40 section. I can reach to buckle kids in the third while standing beside the car, and I'm about 5'3". The cargo area has a well, similar to a minivan, so it's easy to haul strollers upright. Even a Mountain Buggy fits upright in mine with no trouble.

You may also consider putting one or both of the babies in the third row if you use infant seats. Loading them in their seats over the back seat through the hatch or over the folded second row section is pretty easy if you can reach in whatever vehicle you end up with.

devinf

Thanks for the replies, I don't think I can fit 4 kids in the Traverse since ours has captains chairs. 2 infants would be rear face in the middle and then I would have no access to the third row except through the hatch. The 4 year old would be able to climb over the seat but the 17 month old would not be able to and it would be pretty hard to get her between the ceiling and seat back, especially if we have a stroller or groceries in the back of the car. I'm pretty sure also that the 3rd row seat only has one top tether in the middle and that makes for a pretty tight fit on either side for my 4 year old. Also if we were ever to get into a wreck I would want to be able to access all of the kids from one door.

As for the flex, I had looked at it but from what I had read you couldn't fit 2 car seats and bases on the 60 side of the 2nd row bench. You guys are the pros though do if you say it works, thats something else to look at.

I sure wish gm made a car with sliding doors I have a gmcard with several thousand off on a new car purchase.

Thanks again,
Devin

hkllgg

If you are using infant seats, you could load the older kids in the back, and then put the baby seats on the bases...in your car or the Flex. I have fit 2 rear facing seats on the 60 split to have access to the third row. But not infant seats with bases. I have also gotten a rear facet in the 3rd row and 2 in the middle.

nannykates

I personally would get a pre 2011 odyssey. Move the passenger side captain's chair center and put one baby 3rd row passenger side the other in a captain's chair. The remaining captain's chair for your 17mo and driver's side 3rd row for your 4yo. That way you would be able to get at pretty much everyone from the passenger side door.

Qarin

Is your 4 year old in a harnessed seat or a belt-positioning booster seat?

Is your 17 month old rear-facing?

DawgDad

You could make a SUV work for you guys, it just won't be easy or convenient...and possibly not as safe if you are limited by tethers for your car seats. If you have the money to get a new car, then by all means, get one. Especially if you want to have more room and convenience for everyday travel and when you go out of town on trips.

We are on our 3rd Odyssey, have 3 kids (6, 3, and 2 months) and couldn't be happier. The absolute convenience of setting up a kid in any seat in the car really can't be beat by any other vehicle. The 8th seat truly is a seat you can install a car seat on with another next to it (allowing for a captains seat on either side to be sat in by an adult OR for use to pass through to the 3rd row). We have both our oldest in hybrid convertible/boosters in the 3rd row and our youngest infant in a baby carrier in the 8th seat in the second row.

I say start shopping for an Odyssey now (definitely test drive with the kids...put the seats all over the car). For full disclosure, I got our last Odyssey for $1,800 UNDER Invoice. A lot of people don't know that there is this reserve that dealerships have under invoice called "dealer holdback". Therefore, if you feel your price limit is $40k and you think you can't get the Touring or even the Elite, think again...you can get an Elite for full drive out around $39k...even lower if you have a trade.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
If you have a preference to stay with GM, what about a Traverse (or Acadia) with the 2nd row bench seat?

You could do 3-across with the twins and 17-month child with careful selection of carseats.

As hkllgg mentioned, a 4-year old could easily hop in the third row from the rear hatch with one section folded. If they are like most kids, jumping in from the back is a bonus;-) Once they are 40 pounds and mature enough, a booster seat would be a perfectly reasonable option back there and would not require a top tether.

Honestly, I don't think any other midsize SUV provides a significant improvement in flexibility for your situation, with the possible exception of a Honda Pilot due to the 3-across potential of the 2nd row bench seat plus extra LATCH/tether locations. A Honda Odyssey (current or previous generation) or 2004-2010 8-passenger Sienna are the best choices for improved seating of 4 kids and an occasional extra passenger or two. Plus, with those twins comes gear and the added cargo space behind the third row in a minivan will be key.

devinf

Thanks again for the suggestions, the 4 year old is in a belt positioning booster and the 17 month old is rear facing. The 17 month old will not fit rf in the third row however. We have several months to look at cars so we will get something figured out. Financially, keeping our car would work the best. I am not against buying a new or used though I hate to spend the money, I think I'll go clean our car out and start moving seats around.

devin

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Thanks again for the suggestions, the 4 year old is in a belt positioning booster and the 17 month old is rear facing. The 17 month old will not fit rf in the third row however. We have several months to look at cars so we will get something figured out. Financially, keeping our car would work the best. I am not against buying a new or used though I hate to spend the money, I think I'll go clean our car out and start moving seats around.

devin

Could you fit your 4yo in a narrow booster next to a compact convertible like a $39 Cosco scenera from Walmart or maybe a Combi Coccoro? Then fold the small section of the 3rd row? If that is possible, then you might be able to get both of them in from the rear. By the time the twins arrive you'd only have to keep your middle child rear facing for a short time until they are 2 years old then you may have easier options when they can be turned.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC