Booster or Carseat for travel?

aring7279

Just curious what people do in this situation. We will be traveling by plane to Disney, then getting a rental car for our week there. My twins will be almost 6. They are still harnessed but wondering for the trip if we should booster them? We will be traveling with them and a 2 year old so that means 3 carseats. Better to bring them a light weight spare or basic highback booster? What do you do with the booster during the flight since you can't check it and they can't be used on a plane? Does it fit overhead? Does it count as a carry on? TIA

ADS

Baylor

I would booster them for sure. I would buy them new in the box and check them on the plane. Save the box and check them in on return. The 2 yr old I would harness and use that seat on the plane.

aeormsby

I would use a booster for a trip also. How much (distance/time) will you be driving? Do they fall asleep easily while driving?

If there's little to no chance they'll be falling asleep I'd take a no-back booster. The Harmony Youth booster fits even small kids great (we got one for my DD for emergencies before she was 6). The other option if you will be tight on space (renting a sedan?) is the Bubble Bum. It's very small for using in the vehicle and deflates to go in a bag for travel. If you take a regular NBB just carry it on and stash it under the seat or overhead.

We usually just strap them to the handles of our carry-on bags for getting through the airport and then put them in the overhead bin on the plane. Checking (even safely packed in the box) makes me nervous because if it gets lost in transit you're stuck without a seat at your destination. The other option if you want a HBB is the Harmony Folding booster. I almost got one for my 6yo because he tends to sleep in the car but they were out of stock for a couple of months leading up to our trip last spring. That would also go in the overhead bin folded.

aring7279

No, they won't be falling asleep in the car. Our rental is only 10-15 min from the parks. The issue is I doubt they will even sit in a booster before the trip so I'm leery to put them in a nbb. Thank you for your help!

I would use a booster for a trip also. How much (distance/time) will you be driving? Do they fall asleep easily while driving?

If there's little to no chance they'll be falling asleep I'd take a no-back booster. The Harmony Youth booster fits even small kids great (we got one for my DD for emergencies before she was 6). The other option if you will be tight on space (renting a sedan?) is the Bubble Bum. It's very small for using in the vehicle and deflates to go in a bag for travel. If you take a regular NBB just carry it on and stash it under the seat or overhead.

We usually just strap them to the handles of our carry-on bags for getting through the airport and then put them in the overhead bin on the plane. Checking (even safely packed in the box) makes me nervous because if it gets lost in transit you're stuck without a seat at your destination. The other option if you want a HBB is the Harmony Folding booster. I almost got one for my 6yo because he tends to sleep in the car but they were out of stock for a couple of months leading up to our trip last spring. That would also go in the overhead bin folded.

Mommy!

You can also purchase two Graco high back Turbo Boosters, let the twins ride in them at home first to teach them how to sit etc., make sure you install the screws in the armrests at home, and these convert from a high back to a no back booster.

For the trip, you remove the back, pack it in your checked suitcase surrounded/padded with clothes etc., and then have each child carry on their own seat portion of the booster as a "personal item" and stash it in the overhead compartment. They should fit fine.

You can't use them on the plane, but by carrying them on as luggage you ensure that even if your checked bags got lost your twins could still use the seats as no back boosters to travel safely, although not ideally, in the rental car.

aring7279

Great idea- thank you!

You can also purchase two Graco high back Turbo Boosters, let the twins ride in them at home first to teach them how to sit etc., make sure you install the screws in the armrests at home, and these convert from a high back to a no back booster.

For the trip, you remove the back, pack it in your checked suitcase surrounded/padded with clothes etc., and then have each child carry on their own seat portion of the booster as a "personal item" and stash it in the overhead compartment. They should fit fine.

You can't use them on the plane, but by carrying them on as luggage you ensure that even if your checked bags got lost your twins could still use the seats as no back boosters to travel safely, although not ideally, in the rental car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC