Convertible or combination seats with highest LATCH installation weight limit

LC2003

I.e., lightest-weight seats. I just bought an Evenflo SecureKid DLX because of the 50 lb LATCH limit. I hate using seat belts as our van has the seat belts on the pillar so if I have to use the seat belts, the seat cannot move forward or backward. Plus, having started 10 years ago with Britax convertibles with their easy lockoffs, I was spoiled by easy belt installations, and then when we got our SK Radian XTSLs, the ridiculous difficulty of their belt installs made me nuts. Plus, having such a heavy seat is annoying as I am not that strong.

So yeah, what convertible or combination seats allow LATCH install above a child weight of 42 lbs? With my skinny kids, 45 lbs gets me to age 6, and right into a booster. I am fine with having to buy both a convertible and combination.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The SureRide (third tallest harness on the market, taller than most combinations) allows to 55 lbs in vehicles that allow it.

MommyShannon

The Frontier 90 has a ridiculously easy seatbelt install but still wouldn't let you move the seat. Really, I find the seatbelt pretty easy on a lot of seats but have heard of the potential difficulties with the Radian.

Baylor

I think the problem is not the seat .It is the allowance for the car now. If you let them know what car you have, I am sure someone can look up the LATCH limit for you for your car.

So you have to know what the latch limit is in your car to use LATCH correctly.

I found I like Seat belt installs much better. It takes some time with a new seat to figure it out but once you do putting it in and out is a snap!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
All new car seats have to abide by a 65 (or 69) lbs total weight, seat plus child. So the lighter the seat, the longer LATCH can be used, generally.

ETA: The vehicle's weight limit might also come into play, but most have now gone to 65 lbs total, also.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The OP mentioned installs in her van and her signature indicates she drives a Toyota Sienna. Toyota states to follow the carseat manufacturer's instructions regarding LATCH installation weight limits, so that's likely why she's focusing on the LATCH installation weight limits for specific carseats she's contemplating buying because effective earlier this year, new carseats implemented the revised 65 lb. combined total weight of the child plus carseat for the LATCH install weight limit. :)

LC2003

The Frontier 90 has a ridiculously easy seatbelt install but still wouldn't let you move the seat. Really, I find the seatbelt pretty easy on a lot of seats but have heard of the potential difficulties with the Radian.

We had a Frontier bought in 2008 and the "long path belt install" was the only one that would work in our old van and DH hated it so much and cursed and we never used it again. Unless they have changed it, that is a no-go. Plus, for FFing only, I'm very happy with the SecureKid DLX.

I think the problem is not the seat .It is the allowance for the car now. If you let them know what car you have, I am sure someone can look up the LATCH limit for you for your car.

So you have to know what the latch limit is in your car to use LATCH correctly.

I found I like Seat belt installs much better. It takes some time with a new seat to figure it out but once you do putting it in and out is a snap!

The OP mentioned installs in her van and her signature indicates she drives a Toyota Sienna. Toyota states to follow the carseat manufacturer's instructions regarding LATCH installation weight limits, so that's likely why she's focusing on the LATCH installation weight limits for specific carseats she's contemplating buying because effective earlier this year, new carseats implemented the revised 65 lb. combined total weight of the child plus carseat for the LATCH install weight limit. :)

Yes, exactly! I'm basically looking at 65 minus the weight of the seat > 42. That's all I care about. Toyota Sienna 2013 defers to car seat limits, and now that is 65 combined, so weight of the seat all of a sudden matters a lot! Plus, going from Britax convertibles to the Radian really made me see the importance of easy installation. Those Radians were supposed to be good for three across - except they didn't go in the middle seat of many vans, including our old one, and likely this one, too (I got tips on putting the Radian in the middle of the 3rd row of our Sienna but NEVER could make it work.)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
If you can find a Safety 1st GO Hybrid, that might work for you as well. 60 pound harness limit with LATCH and allows for some folding of captain's chairs as well, making 3rd row access even easier. Not sure if you can still find one at retail, but one might pop on Swap or CL or something.

LC2003

If you can find a Safety 1st GO Hybrid, that might work for you as well. 60 pound harness limit with LATCH and allows for some folding of captain's chairs as well, making 3rd row access even easier. Not sure if you can still find one at retail, but one might pop on Swap or CL or something.

I do have one of those, very old... have to check dates... good idea.

Keeyamah

We had a Frontier bought in 2008 and the "long path belt install" was the only one that would work in our old van and DH hated it so much and cursed and we never used it again. Unless they have changed it, that is a no-go. Plus, for FFing only, I'm very happy with the SecureKid DLX.

The FR90 uses a TOTALLY different install system, no long belt path anymore. You open a "Click Tight" mechanism, buckle the seat belt gently (no need to pull it tight like a normal install, just snug like on a person) and close the Click Tight. Done.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC