Question old coccoro insert

littleangelfire

We have two coccoros. I pretty much hate them. They get to stay only cause they're narrow and I can't fit a diono front to back with newborn recline. they were hard to install in both vehicles and that insert is ill designed in my opinion. So. I heard this insert hasn't been around long, is that true? Was there a different one previously? If so, and I could find one , could I use it instead? I HATE that insert and I don't see how it fits any baby well. I've looked at a few pics of babies in them, they also seem like their heads are closer to chest than in a different seat. I mean think about it: there's an inverted ramp under their butt, yes it's going to make their body thrust forward leaving their head behind and therefore extra bent at the neck. Mostly I'm peeved this seat that I want to like and is expensive isn't working out. I have a scenera I may pull out to use and that irritates me further, lol.

ADS

xursusmaritimusx

they have always come with the same insert except the newer models had a 2 piece insert so you could use it without the head part if you wanted

ETA

there are old posts here on cso where the combi rep said as long as the baby fit without the insert (straps at or below shoulders) you could even use the seat without the insert before the old 15 pound weight limit which got moved up to 25lbs.

found this

http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=1779342&postcount=10

littleangelfire

they have always come with the same insert except the newer models had a 2 piece insert so you could use it without the head part if you wanted

ETA

there are old posts here on cso where the combi rep said as long as the baby fit without the insert (straps at or below shoulders) you could even use the seat without the insert before the old 15 pound weight limit which got moved up to 25lbs.

found this

http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=1779342&postcount=10

Bummer. I was hoping it was a completely different thing. :( I hate that stupid wedge! lol Thanks for answering, though, I saw those other posts, and the newer ones saying the new Combi rep is saying no, which is odd. They need to make up their minds. I can use it without the insert, but (and perhaps I'm just irritable right now) it irritates me having bought this seat loving the cushy paddind for noobs and then having to remove it.

cookie123

I with you. I also did not care for how the baby was positioned with that insert in the Coccoro. I didn't love the seat overall, except for it's cuteness! I did not like the install either. It just wasn't great in my car.

littleangelfire

I with you. I also did not care for how the baby was positioned with that insert in the Coccoro. I didn't love the seat overall, except for it's cuteness! I did not like the install either. It just wasn't great in my car.

I'm actually hearing this more and more about this seat. I wish I'd heard it before we bought two, though I'm not sure what else we'd have ended up with. Perhaps a triumph or roundabout. Our cars are small, we need narrow side to side and front to back. I really like diono but the newborn recline made it hard to tolerate in our cars, even more so in my husband's corolla versus my versa. I have a little more room front to back, he has a little more room side to side. I may have to take a trip to babies r us and see if they'll let me try a triumph and roundabout. Not that we can really afford it, hopefully I could sell the coccoros

cookie123

People seem to like the Guide 65 which is quite compact. Maybe give that a try. Good luck selling your Coccoros. It took me a long time to sell mine. I haven't been able to sell my On Board Air either. I've been trying for months.

littleangelfire

The Chicco Nextfit and the new Graco 4ever are great compact seats. Try them out!

I will look at the Graco 4ever, thank you. My friend, a bit of a car seat/safety buff, has a Nextfit and a Diono R120, she says the Nextfit takes up more room than the Diono rear facing, without the recline block.

People seem to like the Guide 65 which is quite compact. Maybe give that a try. Good luck selling your Coccoros. It took me a long time to sell mine. I haven't been able to sell my On Board Air either. I've been trying for months.

I haven't ever looked at that one. Thanks for the hard truth about selling CCOs. :( I could try hear, I think I still have the boxes, but perhaps not worth it. I got them on sale, so maybe wouldn't lose too much money versus their regular price, I don't know. But I got boring color: the black ones. It does fit great, as far as side to side and front to back, just there's nothing else to like about the thing. Usually if I have to move a seat frequently I think no big deal, with this one I fight moving it.

aporthole

I will look at the Graco 4ever, thank you. My friend, a bit of a car seat/safety buff, has a Nextfit and a Diono R120, she says the Nextfit takes up more room than the Diono rear facing, without the recline block.

In most vehicles the NextFit will be more compact than the Radian even with the angle adjuster. In a car with quite a bit of slope to the seat pan a Radian with angle adjuster will be more compact since there is no limit to how upright it can be.

In my Pilot the NextFit is significantly more compact than a Radian with Angle Adjuster.

littleangelfire

In most vehicles the NextFit will be more compact than the Radian even with the angle adjuster. In a car with quite a bit of slope to the seat pan a Radian with angle adjuster will be more compact since there is no limit to how upright it can be.

In my Pilot the NextFit is significantly more compact than a Radian with Angle Adjuster.

I don't think either of our vehicles have much slope to them in the seat. I won't totally discount the seat then. I'll ask my friend if I can come over before I teach her kids piano next week and play with her car seat for a bit.

henrietta

Have you used them yet with a tiny baby? Ours worked great and fit our 6 lb newborn very well. Until she was around 13-15 lbs, the insert was great. At that point, the insert started to suck, and we took it out. LOL I don't love the install, esp with seatbelt, Euro install or not. It's just tough to get it tight enough in most vehicles. With LATCH, it's much easier. In the average car, it's an okay install. I like that I can use the Euro routing...I like that I can use the tether rear facing. I love the ease of the buckle and tightener.

It's a love/hate relationship for me w/the Cocorro. ;) I won't be too sad when she outgrows it though.

Have you looked at the Graco Size 4 Me 70? It fits in tighter spots than many other seats and lasts a super long time, plus has a fairly easy install.

littleangelfire

Have you used them yet with a tiny baby? Ours worked great and fit our 6 lb newborn very well. Until she was around 13-15 lbs, the insert was great. At that point, the insert started to suck, and we took it out. LOL I don't love the install, esp with seatbelt, Euro install or not. It's just tough to get it tight enough in most vehicles. With LATCH, it's much easier. In the average car, it's an okay install. I like that I can use the Euro routing...I like that I can use the tether rear facing. I love the ease of the buckle and tightener.

It's a love/hate relationship for me w/the Cocorro. ;) I won't be too sad when she outgrows it though.

Have you looked at the Graco Size 4 Me 70? It fits in tighter spots than many other seats and lasts a super long time, plus has a fairly easy install.

I haven't looked at the newer graco seats. In my mind they're based on the myride and I hate that seat, it's a beast and over reclined FF. But since I haven't actually looked my perception could be off, lol

My now 3 1/2 month old has been using them since birth, 6lbs 9oz. He fit even worse then. He screams in the car seat and I'm wondering if his discomfort is the problem. It looks uncomfortable. I've tried over reclining the seat, under reclining the seat just to see if it made a difference. It just sucks because we don't really have the money to replace but I may have to use credit or something if he does better in a different seat.

gigi

I'd just take out the insert if he fits better without it. I looooved the coccoro but I hated that insert, never fit my tall skinny baby well.

tl01

I would just take the insert out and see if that helps. Hopefully it does. If you don't want to invest money in a new seat... Know that both of my boys screamed the whole time in the car forever... One for 9 months and one for about 18 months... Maybe longer. I bought a zillion seats for each and none helped. Some say reflux can be worse in car seats so if you still suspect that, you might want to further investigate the possibility. In general (besides being in the car) my boys were a zillion times happier once medicated for reflux. Both had it verified through medical testing so I know it was real.

That said... I am really loving the Graco 4ever. My 4 year old seems very comfy in it.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
FWIW, the clones really aren't based on the MR. I did some comparison pics when it first came out, you could probably search my old posts to find them.

I hated the CCO too. It only installed well outboard, where the seatbacks were a bit concave, and I needed it in the center. Blah. I made it work but I was awfully glad when I was able to sell it.

littleangelfire

We'll check out reflux at his appointment but due to a change in insurance that won't be for a couple weeks yet. He's not crying all day anymore so I doubt that's it. My first screamed in the car for four months. Mostly I hate his positioning with the insert but hate not using the cushiony goodness, lol. And it's a royal pain in the butt to install.

henrietta

I haven't looked at the newer graco seats. In my mind they're based on the myride and I hate that seat, it's a beast and over reclined FF. But since I haven't actually looked my perception could be off, lol

My now 3 1/2 month old has been using them since birth, 6lbs 9oz. He fit even worse then. He screams in the car seat and I'm wondering if his discomfort is the problem. It looks uncomfortable. I've tried over reclining the seat, under reclining the seat just to see if it made a difference. It just sucks because we don't really have the money to replace but I may have to use credit or something if he does better in a different seat.

I removed it when dd was close to 15 pounds...she had started fussing horribly & fighting getting in her seat, b/c her reflux in it had gotten really bad. She was much better once it was out. Before that last few weeks prior to me removing the insert, she seemed fine in the seat with the insert.

henrietta

Size 4 Me definitely is not a beast like the My Ride & is not super reclined forward facing. I also hate the My Ride. Lol

gigi

The Coccoro without insert is still very nicely cushioned (says the car-seat-padding-loving lady - and her skinny butt kids). My daughter preferred the CCO to her Boulevard until the day she outgrew it (at age 2.75 going on 15, opinions were shared forcefully LOL).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC