Handle up question

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've seen it in a couple of places now where people, both general parents and techs, have mentioned that when considering infant seats, they think it's a con that handles must be in the up position. For instance, on the Cybex Aton 2 and Q seats and the Combi Shuttle seats, the handle must be in the up position. Why is that considered a disadvantage?

ADS

xursusmaritimusx

hmmm maybe some parents find it to be in the way? but as a tech i see it as a rebound feature (as some manufacturers say) I know that some parents i talk to are concerned about the handle breaking in a crash and injuring baby but since new testing and reports from manufacturers are proving otherwise. i let them know.

but also i find leaving the handle up as a convenience since you dont have to adjust it when you put it in or take it out.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I know one cop tech who was the first responder on a scene where a loose harness resulted in fatal head to handle contact in a side impact. She has a very strong reaction to handles up and would never put her own children in a seat requiring the handle up.

jordansmom

As a parent I like being able to leave the handle up as a form of anti rebound and because it's one less step to put it in another position.

I can see how parents would like the flexibility of being able have the handle in multiple positions and not feeling limited. I'm also imagining for parents that leave the infant seat installed, it's easier to load/unload a baby with the handle left back.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I know one cop tech who was the first responder on a scene where a loose harness resulted in fatal head to handle contact in a side impact. She has a very strong reaction to handles up and would never put her own children in a seat requiring the handle up.

How sad. :( But the same thing would happen in a 3-across potentially if the child were in a loose harness. It's not necessarily the handle, but you know that.

As a parent I like being able to leave the handle up as a form of anti rebound and because it's one less step to put it in another position.

I can see how parents would like the flexibility of being able have the handle in multiple positions and not feeling limited. I'm also imagining for parents that leave the infant seat installed, it's easier to load/unload a baby with the handle left back.

Aha! I would never use an infant seat that way, so I could never see it as a bad thing. But I bet that's it. Kind of like Aussie rf tethering.

hmmm maybe some parents find it to be in the way? but as a tech i see it as a rebound feature (as some manufacturers say) I know that some parents i talk to are concerned about the handle breaking in a crash and injuring baby but since new testing and reports from manufacturers are proving otherwise. i let them know.

but also i find leaving the handle up as a convenience since you dont have to adjust it when you put it in or take it out.

Yeah, way back when, I used to picture this shard of a handle broken in half.

Syllieann

I like to be able to have the handle up or down. I consider the requirement for always up or always down to be a huge disadvantage. When baby is younger and I always take the seat out, the handle is pretty much always up. My 14 month old is in the infant seat still and I use it like a convertible for the canopy and ability to take it out of the car on the rare occasion where I just need to run in somewhere very quickly. It would be so annoying to have to put the handle up every time I buckle him in at this point.

aeormsby

Probably for the same reason I don't think I ever had the canopy on the infant seat with DS - sometimes it just gets in the way. There were plenty of times when I left the seat in the vehicle and just took the baby out, having to re-adjust the handle every time would be annoying - I liked the option of having it up or down.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I will only consider handle up seats for my own kids (either require or allow), but I do believe any locked position seats are just another way to reduce misuse among parents.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC