Travel to ireland

sarahlove

We will be going to Ireland in October.
Flying on jet blue and aer lingus.
Dd will almost be 3(35 months) so I can take her seat on the plane?
Should I take the peg convertible or buy something else for flying?
She doesn't ride in her stroller much but should I take it anyway so I can strap a seat to it and put the carry-on in the strollers basket or just get a luggage cart?
Also we will be getting rental car. It says it is guaranteed(which Im sure can still change) to be a nissan QASHQAI. Any clue how this crossover would be with a rf carseat?
Sorry for all the questions.

ADS

cantabdad

As long as your child is still under 3 at the time of travel, you can use her carseat on Aer Lingus. It will have to be forward-facing. Make sure you know where the little sticker is that says "Certified for motor vehicles and aircraft" since it is likely that someone will check.

http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/travellingwithchildren/#d.en.4558

On JetBlue you can do RF or FF as you prefer. On both airlines the carseat will have to be at the window seat (or, if the Aer Lingus flight uses a dual-aisle aircraft, it can also be used in one of the middle seats in the center section).

The Nissan Qashqai is a cousin of the Rogue compact SUV. It might be a little tight for a RF carseat if both of the folks in the front seat are tall, but beyond that it's hard to say.

One thing I have noticed is that many European cars seem to have neither Isofix(LATCH) nor automatic locking retractor seatbelts. If that is the case with your rental car, you will need to use either the built-in lockoffs on your carseat (if it has them) or a locking clip. The info I saw on the Peg was somewhat confusing; it said that it has lockoffs but still requires the locking clip. Locking clips can be a pain, but it's not enough (personally speaking) to warrant buying a new carseat.

Also personally speaking I would bring the stroller and use it just as you described to transport the carseat around the airport. Kids who have mostly outgrown the stroller sometimes also re-discover the joys of it when they are tired or jetlagged and/or doing lots of walking in another city.

biddyk8

We fly to Ireland a lot we always get the exact car that it says as for a few of the rental companies they just keep 1 kind of car for each size.
A quashqui is a little bigger than a rogue I don't think you will have an issue with the peg in it. Last time we were home we rented a Nissan juke which is pretty small and it fit a rfing tribute in the back. It also had isofix, in Ireland you should be getting a rental with isofix as the rentals are all pretty new and normally have it.

We didn't travel with our peg as we found it too heavy but if you are happy to take it through the airport I'd bring it.

sarahlove

The Aer lingus website says you can't use a carseat if the child is over 36 months.
I did email the American customer service and got this response:

"Our child passengers are entitled to bring on board the aircraft a forward facing car seat . This is in addition to their checked bag allowance.

We hope you enjoy your travel with us."

Do I need to also ask the Ireland customer service or is this enough of an Answer that I can be sure that I am able to take my seat onboard?

biddyk8

The Aer lingus website says you can't use a carseat if the child is over 36 months.
I did email the American customer service and got this response:

"Our child passengers are entitled to bring on board the aircraft a forward facing car seat . This is in addition to their checked bag allowance.

We hope you enjoy your travel with us."

Do I need to also ask the Ireland customer service or is this enough of an Answer that I can be sure that I am able to take my seat onboard?

You should have no issue with Aer lingus at either end with the car seat. Their stewards are all really nice and much better at customer service than their actual customer service department.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC