Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Air travel advice

Hi,

I will be flying Southwest with my almost 2 year old in a few weeks and trying to decide between taking my Graco MyRide 70 or my Diono Radian. Considering both fit and ease of installation on the aircraft (and my mother's car on the other end), and ability to lug it around the airport (with any tips on best way for this much appreciated).
    Being pretty small, those kinds of considerations are important also.

Also wondering about whether to still rear-face on aircraft as I do in my car?

Thanks for any insight and advice!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

I like rear facing in planes cause the kids can't kick the seat. Saves a lot of talking. Do you have a stroller or a car seat cart?

I would use whichever one you can strap onto something else the easiest.

Moderator - CPS Technician

Re: Air travel advice

I would probably take the MyRide. Both of your seats are bulky, but the MR is a little lighter, and is less likely to have a problematic installation in your mom's car.

Either way, I agree with Sarah that it is easiest to get a car seat through the airport by using a stroller or luggage cart. My preference is to use a stroller, since I usually want to take one anyway, and strap the car seat and ALL carry-on luggage to it. Then I use a carrier for the baby/toddler.

As for RF or FF on the aircraft, experts generally will say that RF is still safer, but the difference is safety is not nearly as dramatic in aircraft as in cars. I prefer RF because it makes it easier for the child to sleep, interact with you, and keep toys in the seat (i.e. not drop toys on the floor). Be aware that sometimes flight attendants will instruct you to install the seat FF, so you might want to print out the FAA guidelines to show them. (Helpful information, including a link to the FAA advisory circular, found here.) If they push it, then I would advise you to comply with them and take it up later with the airline. Even if you are right and they are wrong, it is not worth getting thrown off the flight to RF a toddler (IMO).
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

I would take the Radian and bungee it to a luggage cart. Depending on the plane, you may be able to even roll it down the aisle since it's narrow, and it'll be much more pleasant to sit next to it. Personally, being one who nearly got kicked off a plane for RFing an 18mo, I'd just FF (particularly since both are big seats.)
    Good luck!
    Kate // CPST, SK Senior Checker, & Mom to M (12/2010)