2 year old in booster

t.tewks09

If someone told you they had their TWO year old in a booster seat, what would you do? To the best of my knowledge there is no booster seat on the market that allows this, and I live in a "correct use" state.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
If someone told you they had their TWO year old in a booster seat, what would you do? To the best of my knowledge there is no booster seat on the market that allows this, and I live in a "correct use" state.

I would ask them if they had to use staples to keep the child still because my 2yos would have been climbing on my lap trying to drive if I tried to get them to stay put in a booster. Humor is often a good conversation starter.

t.tewks09

She was asking my advice on if she should put her two year old in a low back or high back booster. Of course, It old her the bare minimum was that he had to be four years old to go into a booster, and that I recommended keeping him harnessed to five or six, when he'd be mature enough for a booster. She swore up and down her two year old is already big enough AND mature enough for a booster, and doesn't think he needs a high back booster even
:yeahthatmad::yeahthatmad:

She has a 16-18lb 11 month old she is also turning forward facing. I informed her this is illegal and dangerous. Informed her she must be 1 year AND 20 lbs. She ignored the 20lbs part.

She doesn't care, got snippy with me, changed the subject and walked away and talked to a different coworker. I don't think there's any possibility of friendly conversation or polite education anymore. I DID send her a facebook message with links as one last final attempt and am anxious to see how she treats me or responds now. This was the message: "You were asking about carseats today. I found you some more information. http://www.safercar.gov/parents/RightSeat.htm and http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/child_passenger_safety/cps-factsheet.html "

Last edited:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
In general, relating impulse control to crossing the street safely is one way of explaining the maturity needed for booster seat use, but in this case, your coworker isn't interested in the facts. Let it go and focus on being a good example to those willing to learn.

kathysr98

In general, relating impulse control to crossing the street safely is one way of explaining the maturity needed for booster seat use, but in this case, your coworker isn't interested in the facts. Let it go and focus on being a good example to those willing to learn.

Yep. You can only help those who want help. Exit the conversation unless she asks for more information. It's the only way to keep your sanity!

t.tewks09

So even though what she is doing is illegal in my state, you wouldn't take down her license and report her? I wonder if a fine might change her mind

Baylor

I would feel obligated to report a 2 yr old in a booster.

I would show her videos on youtube of children that were killed because they were in boosters before they should have been.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctw2Bob7sH0"]The Isabelle Broadhead Story - YouTube[/ame]

Athena

So even though what she is doing is illegal in my state, you wouldn't take down her license and report her? I wonder if a fine might change her mind

If I thought the police might care or actually do something, then yes, I might report her. Either way, know you did what you could and try to feel good about that.

sunnymw

If I thought the police might care or actually do something, then yes, I might report her. Either way, know you did what you could and try to feel good about that.

Right. Here in GA we can't pull over unless WE have probable cause (we see it ourselves) or unless another officer tells us they observed it. So we could follow the car, in theory, and if we see the kid bouncing around we could make the stop. Or she runs a stop sign, has a tail light out, etc. We cannot arbitrarily make stops based on citizen observations (there are some exceptions to this for exigent circumstances, which we experienced where I worked the other night when someone was riding around waving a gun out the window).

Unfortunately, if I was lucky enough to stop that car and saw a child in any kind of restraint, at all, period, I could still write the citation if it was not proper use, but the judge would probably throw it out. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC