Vehicle for family of 5

Brianna

My friend asked for my advice so I thought I would ask you :) the older child will be 5, twins are due in February but expected before then. Mom is short but dad is a little over 6'. They are interested in a minivan or 3rd row SUV. I didn't get an exact budget, but I think they're looking at $10,000 max. The twins don't have seats yet, but it looks like there are plenty of options on the updated blog. Oldest is currently in an Argos harnessed, he could stay in that or move to a booster. All vehicle suggestions are appreciated! :)

Oh and the second vehicle is an older hatchback- Camry I think? Are there any concerns there? I'm not familiar with it yet.

ADS

Baylor

I think the best choice is a good mini van. AS much as I did not want one with kids it is so easy and there is so much room for everyone.

sunnydayz

I would look at a 2006 or newer Hyundai Entourage or Mazda 5 within that budget. She my be able to find a Sienna or Odyssey within budget too.

sunnydayz

The Dodge Grand Caravan and it's clones (Chrysler Town and Country Volkswagen Routan) have a 3rd row that is essentially useless to booster riders and older. The shoulder belt is mounted forward of the seat and produces an unacceptable belt fit in many (most) situations.

You can search threads here and find photographic evidence.

keri1292

NOT the Grand Caravans or Town & Countrys. No no no no. I'm stuck with one and it's bad news for my booster riders. :(

Ditto the 06 and up Sedona suggestion. :)

jaemom

The Dodge Grand Caravan and it's clones (Chrysler Town and Country Volkswagen Routan) have a 3rd row that is essentially useless to booster riders and older. The shoulder belt is mounted forward of the seat and produces an unacceptable belt fit in many (most) situations.

You can search threads here and find photographic evidence.

This. It stinks for my 3 booster age boys!

tl01

Skip the caravan and go for a Sedona or Entourage as suggested... As the others said the 2006+ model years are best and doable on that budget.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC