New report on seatbelt usage

cantabdad

Iowa DOT has an interesting report on seatbelt laws, particularly with respect to the back seat.

http://www.iowadot.gov/research/rep.../UIowa_SeatBeltPolicyAnalysis_FinalReport.pdf

Many of the findings will be "old news" to people in the CPS community, but it is always nice to have recent facts and figures at hand and additional statistical confirmation. Here are some of the things that jumped out at me:

- Only 28 states have seatbelt laws that apply to all occupants (i.e. including adults in the back seat)
- Even in a state like Iowa with high overall seatbelt use, many people say that they do not always buckle up when in the back seat, most commonly because they forget or because it's not legally required
- Unbelted occupants pose a risk not only to themselves, but also to belted occupants in the same vehicle (with a 2-5x greater risk of serious injury to the belted occupant in the event of a crash)
- Improvements in rear seat occupant safety have not kept pace with improvements in front seat occupant safety; belted adults are slightly more likely to have a fatal injury in the rear than in the front (in vehicles from model year 2000 or newer)
- Awareness of the safety benefits of seatbelts is a relatively small motivator for usage behavior; legal sanctions are a stronger influence, and stronger seatbelt laws and higher fines are associated with higher usage rates

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
- Improvements in rear seat occupant safety have not kept pace with improvements in front seat occupant safety; belted adults are slightly more likely to have a fatal injury in the rear than in the front (in vehicles from model year 2000 or newer)

This is one of the reasons I allow my children to sit in the front seat once they no longer have a better belt fit in a booster than without one. There are no performance standards, other than a seat back strength standard that a sturdy lawnchair could pass, for back seats. The overall greater risk of injury to children in the front factors in misuse, which is not a factor for my kids. There was a thread not long ago about exceeding hte limits of a booster for a kid that didn't 5 step and someone mentioned that exceeding the limits made the child a crash test dummy. ANYTIME a child rides in a backseat with seatbelt alone they are a crash test dummy, so if it comes to a choice between seatbelt in the front or back and the front fits better, I'm comfortable with children being in front.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
This is one of the reasons I allow my children to sit in the front seat once they no longer have a better belt fit in a booster than without one. There are no performance standards, other than a seat back strength standard that a sturdy lawnchair could pass, for back seats. The overall greater risk of injury to children in the front factors in misuse, which is not a factor for my kids. There was a thread not long ago about exceeding hte limits of a booster for a kid that didn't 5 step and someone mentioned that exceeding the limits made the child a crash test dummy. ANYTIME a child rides in a backseat with seatbelt alone they are a crash test dummy, so if it comes to a choice between seatbelt in the front or back and the front fits better, I'm comfortable with children being in front.

This is something I've been thinking about, too, especially given the improvements in airbag safety for small front-seat passengers.

kathysr98

I agree, and for more than one reason plan to move my dd to the front when she fits better in that belt than in a booster in the back seat. I think the great consideration and effort given to front seat safety, the emotional & maturity gains from allowing a tween or young teen a special privilege, and the driver instruction that is much easier to give all make it an appropriate choice.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC