Opinions on the Safety 1st Advance 70 Air+?

momtoo3

Opinions on the Safety 1st Advance 70 Air+? I was at Target this afternoon and it was on clearance for $132.98. There is a $20 off coupon and then 5% off with redcard so about $107 plus tax. I love how padded it is and all the of the features. How does it fit infants? We have the SR35LX and will use it until she is too heavy for me to carry, so probably about 15-20 pounds or 6-8 months (want the carrier for the winter.) I have a CA65 as a back up seat and like it enough. I plan to get her a MA70 in Cactus Flower for my van. I need to pick a seat for dh's Yukon XL. I don't need one now as she is not even here yet but that seems like a good deal and I've been eyeing it for a while. So is it worth it?

This is the seat but the color is the turquoise called Tyson http://www.target.com/p/safety-1st-...42609#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=safety+1st+air.

ADS
I recall reading a few months back that it looked to be a promising seat. At that price I'd probably go for it if I needed another seat.

Am I the only one who had to try 3+ times to say the name of that seat properly?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I was checking out the same seat at my Target with DS Sunday. He's way too big to be my model these days, but turns out, his bike lock key fits the stupid cable lock my Target threads through all the carseat belt paths to keep people from taking them off the shelf. Also, He is willing to lift things up and down for me.

Rfing, it looks promising. My very unscientific measurement using my arm tells me that there is the length of my hand more seat depth. FFing it doesn't seem very tall, but for those willing/planning to switch to a combo anyway that doesn't really factor in much. The harness is NOT continuous (a + in my book) and the adjuster felt nice. The recline adjustment was on the back of the shell, which was interesting. I didn't pay attention to the required recline. DS appreciated the "handle" at the top of the shell which made moving it around easy.

momtoo3

I was checking out the same seat at my Target with DS Sunday. He's way too big to be my model these days, but turns out, his bike lock key fits the stupid cable lock my Target threads through all the carseat belt paths to keep people from taking them off the shelf. Also, He is willing to lift things up and down for me.

Rfing, it looks promising. My very unscientific measurement using my arm tells me that there is the length of my hand more seat depth. FFing it doesn't seem very tall, but for those willing/planning to switch to a combo anyway that doesn't really factor in much. The harness is NOT continuous (a + in my book) and the adjuster felt nice. The recline adjustment was on the back of the shell, which was interesting. I didn't pay attention to the required recline. DS appreciated the "handle" at the top of the shell which made moving it around easy.

I have no issue switching to a combo seat when she outgrows it ff. As long as she can get to at least 3 rf I would be happy. It will be in dh's truck and he fights me on rf. We finally agreed on age 3 for ds3 in his truck. I'm sure it will be the same again with dd.

I think if they still have it tomorrow I am going to go for it. I'm really liking the steel reinforced frame and all the padding. I just don't love the color. ...after the insert comes out it is just gray.

Oh and there are 4 reclines and the dual line for under and over 22 pounds.

momtoo3

Well I bought it.....I figured I should have a back up seat to her infant seat in case of a blowout or vomit. The only other convertible I have is a CA65. I know she won't fit in that for a while. Dh thinks I'm crazy.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I reviewed one for CSFTL and it's very large. On front to back and width. It fits newborns, but the required angle for under 22 lbs makes it so it's not going to fit in anything smaller than a FULL size SUV or something.

Harness is not continuous but mine was unbelievably difficult to tighten because of a grippy material on the back of the straps. Dorel told me it's going to be removed from future models though.

FF it has tons of leg support, still huge, but very easy install both RF and FF. No strap covers though which both my kids griped about.

momtoo3

I will try to play with it in dh's Yukon XL soon. I'm not too worried about space in there as long as I can find a hbb for ds3 to fit next to it. He is currently boostered in a FR85 but I plan to get him something else before she arrives. If it is not too hot next week I will try it out then. Being 32 weeks pregnant the heat is my enemy lol.

I don't plan on needing to use it at the newborn angle but I should at least make sure it fits just in case we do need it as a back up seat in there.

momtoo3

Had to update that I went back to target and it was down to $47.54! I bought the last one and am going to return the one I bought a few weeks ago since they wouldn't price adjust on clearance. Definitely worth it for that price!

I still haven't tried it in dh's truck :eek:. Hopefully I can do it this week.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I popped over to our Target and they had a seat for that price... but it was an Eddie Bauer-branded AOE. Boo!

Excited you got a good steal. I feel like that's a seat that looks intriguing but doesn't get a lot of light shed on it!

momtoo3

I will be trying it out this evening when dh gets home. I was 3 cm and 50% effaced at my appt last night so time to get her infant seat in his truck and ready to go. I figured I should try the convertible out too to make sure it works. I will try to get pictures.

mommyfrog

My sister bought one on clearance for $99. Her average size seven year old dd fit ff with some room to grow, as did my average size six year old ds. Her 90%+ three year old ds appeared to still fit rf in height, but he is 42 pounds. We didn't install it in anything though or try my little guy out in it.

momtoo3

I tried it in both my van and dh's Yukon XL. It fit better in my van. I have pictures but need to upload and resize them. I put ds3 in it ff (almost 6yrs but a peanut at 41 pounds and about 43 inches) and he fit on the top setting with about a 1/2 inch of growing room. I could do the newborn angle in my van on the 2 person bench in the 2nd row in the center position but could only do the over 22 pounds angle in the Yukon. I'm kinda bummed because it means dh's truck gets the pretty seat and I get this one, at least until she is bigger and I can switch them.

mommyfrog

I had a really hard time getting it to lock into the upper most position. It kept slipping back down making it seem as if the seven year old had outgrown it. Once I got it to stay all the way up, she fit. So double check and really pull and wiggle it up if you need it for an older kiddo ff.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Glad it works, what a freaky awesome deal! That seat is my unabashed favorite at BRU, because the leg depth is phenomenal ("I don't want his feet to touch the seatback, it looks so uncomfortable, whine whine whine, yadda"). If only it fit more cars better, I might sell more of them....

momtoo3

Ok it took a while but I finally got to put dd in this seat today. It wasn't installed because I decided to sell it and get her a MA70 and another seat (tbd) that doesn't take so much space. She absolutely loved it and now that I have shown it to one person who is supposed to let me know tomorrow and have 2 more interested I am second guessing my decision to sell it. These pictures are not great but I was waiting for the person looking at it to show up.

She was 10 lbs, 1 oz and 21 inches ten days ago, so probably about 10.5 pounds now. She was just above the lowest slots.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC