HBB Most Comparable to Recaro Vivo

morlando27

I'm in the market for a hbb for DS2. He's 5.75 yrs old, approx 43 lbs, 45". For reference, he still has another slot left in both the GN & Maestro. I have plenty of hbb for when he's boostered full time (FR85, GN, ProBooster, & Monterey) but would like something lighter and less bulky for occasional use in other people's cars or for friends in ours now. I love the Vivo but, since they've been discontinued, I can't find one and DS1's have expired. I'm hoping to find something similar for DS2.

The things I liked about the Vivo are that it isn't too heavy or bulky yet feels sturdy, it doesn't fall apart when you move it, provides good belt fit in various cars with various kids, has large head wings with eps foam and seemingly good side impact protection, and at the time DS1 was using it I didn't think it required head support. What currently available seat is most comparable? I'm leaning toward the Harmony Folding Travel Booster (although I'm concerned that it's too short to be useful for long) or perhaps the Harmony V6. Is there anything else I should consider with a budget of <$80? I didn't like the Turbo for DS1 but might consider the newer version w/ surround or the Affix.

ADS

jjordan

Reading your post, I was thinking the Turbo with safety surround might be a good option for you. *Maybe* a Britax Parkway if you can find a good sale...? Really the budget is going to limit you.

morlando27

Really the budget is going to limit you.
I have "better" seats. This is just a spare that will likely see minimal use. That said, I still want a hbb that I feel good about using IYKWIM. Does the Turbo with Surround stay together better than the original Turbo?

morlando27

From what I'm finding, the Turbo and Affix still fall apart easily, which I find incredibly irritating. I also worry that it would end up being used without the back if it falls off.

kam1011

The affix does not fall apart. You have to manually take it apart if you want to convert to backless. It won't just fall off switching cars. At least mine stays on perfectly tight.

I was actually thinking one of the Harmony seats even before I got to the bottom of your post. We had the v6 and I personally hated it (great recommendation, right?) but I know people have liked the other one.

Or have you looked at the Evenflo Amp in the HB version?

morlando27

The affix does not fall apart. You have to manually take it apart if you want to convert to backless. It won't just fall off switching cars. At least mine stays on perfectly tight.

I was actually thinking one of the Harmony seats even before I got to the bottom of your post. We had the v6 and I personally hated it (great recommendation, right?) but I know people have liked the other one.

Or have you looked at the Evenflo Amp in the HB version?

The HB Evenflo Amp doesn't seem like it would provide much side impact protection.

I think the Harmony V6 is probably too deep for DS2 and I wasn't crazy about feeding the belt through the Cruz for DS1 (hard to mess it up but it's a pain) so I don't think I'd be happy with it but was considering it since it adjusts taller than the Folding Booster.

I'm glad to hear your Affix stays together. Do you know how tall it adjusts?

I'd like to check out the Affix with Safety Surround and Harmony Folding Booster. Too bad I don't think either are in stock locally. The Diono Cambria also looks promising. If I knew when it was going to be available I might just wait even though it's priced a little higher than I want to spend but without a firm release date I don't want to wait too long. I'm hoping to find something I could leave with the sitter beginning the middle of next week. I could always pull the ProBooster out of storage but it's too wide for her compact car if she had to do 3 across.

CMeMeC

The amp seems really flimsy next to the vivo. Mine does stay together, though. It just won't stay adjusted.

jujumum

The Cambria should be out soon (right?) and looks to me to have a blow mold plastic design like tge Vivo had.

Carolinadaisy

The Cambria should be out soon (right?) and looks to me to have a blow mold plastic design like tge Vivo had.

I hope it will be out soon. I'm waiting to purchase a Cambria for my Ds1. If we really like it, I may buy 2 and then I would have a 12/2012 manufactured Vivo to sell.

arly1983

Your going to laugh but I am just throwing this out there: the harmony dreamtime always reminded me of a Vivo. Lol! It was always the Vivos little brother in my mind. It's not longlasting but it fit five year old amazingly well, great sides, the bottom will NOT fall off. It's narrow, too. I used one in a super tight 3-across for almost a year. It could make a nice between booster for you. It's out of stock at Walmart.com but I see it all the time in stores.

morlando27

Your going to laugh but I am just throwing this out there: the harmony dreamtime always reminded me of a Vivo. Lol! It was always the Vivos little brother in my mind. It's not longlasting but it fit five year old amazingly well, great sides, the bottom will NOT fall off. It's narrow, too. I used one in a super tight 3-across for almost a year. It could make a nice between booster for you. It's out of stock at Walmart.com but I see it all the time in stores.

The Dreamtime doesn't have any eps foam. That's why I was considering the Folding Booster over it.

Has anyone tried the "Dream On Me Turbo"? Is it just a Graco TB with a different cover?

arly1983

This is the only coming to mind that hasn't already been suggested on your budget: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006JW9PDG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1404926091&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40"]The First Years Compass Pathway B570 Adjustable Belt Booster Seat, Sticks & Stone:Amazon:Baby[/ame]

morlando27

No, that is not a graco turbo booster at all (not made by Graco). It's made by "dream on me". Never heard of it to be honest.

There was a previous thread that speculated it might be a Graco with a different cover since Dream On Me has a history of licensing designs from other companies. I hadn't heard of it either...just saw it on the Walmart site while looking at the Harmony hbb's.

arly1983

There was a previous thread that speculated it might be a Graco with a different cover since Dream On Me has a history of licensing designs from other companies. I hadn't heard of it either...just saw it on the Walmart site while looking at the Harmony hbb's.

Learn something new everyday! Hmm, it doesn't look very turbo-ish to me. The way the backless portion attaches to the back looks like a harmony booster. The shell looks blow-molded which is something else harmony does. I am guessing a harmony booster with a nicer cover. I don't see any mention of eps/epp foam, just cushion for comfort. It does look pretty padded. :)

morlando27

How heavy are the Compass boosters? I also have the (perhaps mistaken) impression that they don't always provide good belt fit, although I see the B570 is now listed as a best bet with an instruction manual revision. Since this seat will potentially be shuffled to various vehicles and for DS's friends, I want to ensure it fits a variety of kids/cars well.

CMeMeC

The compass booster is fairly light weight, buf it felt sturdy to me. My parents had/have one and it fit all 3 of their booster age grand kids well in a variety of cars. I liked it. My son outgrew it by height a while back and I haven't seen it since.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC