Placement in 2014 Highlander

urwnl

I need to pick up two kids from sleep away camp on Tuesday, so I will have a 4.75 year old, 11 year old and 8 year old in my 2014 Highlander, along with 4 very large duffel bags. Due to the size of the duffel bags, I think I'll have to have the third row down. My 4.75 year old normally rides in a TFP, but I have a RSTV2 for carpool. My 8 year old is in a harmony lightrider and my 11 year old uses and incognito. Normally the 8 year old is in the 3rd row, so I don't have to worry about the stupid overlap seatbelt, no 3 across rule.

The manual says "when using the right hand second and third set for the child restraint system, do not sit in the center second and third seat. Seat belt function maybe impaired, such as being positioned overly high or loose fitting, which may result in death or serious injury in the event of sudden braking, sudden swerving or an accident."

I know that a RSTV2 is a restraint system, but it's a totally different type of restraint system. Do you think it would be ok to put my 4.75 year old in the second row right hand passenger seat in her RSTV2, my 11 year old in the center seat in her incognito, and my 8 year old in the left hand second row seat behind the driver? Just so I know, what about the 11 year old in the right hand side in the incognito since there are on armrests or anything that looks like it would interfere with how the center seatbelt operates and the RSTV2 would keep the belt low and in the proper position on the 4.75 year old in the center seat? FYI, I use the top tether with the RSTV2 and there is a top tether for all 3 seats in the 2nd row. TIA!

ADS

bubbaray

Bumping this up for you. I don't know if many here have experience in your vehicle but I know that issue has been raised before. I would probably do what you have planned.

GL!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Your plan might work. I'm basically lazy, so I'd put a duffel in the front, a duffel in the cargo area, and a duffel in the third row with the 8yo and not move any seats.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Sorry this is too late but maybe it helps for the future. If the rstv fits in the middle then you are fine as this would not conflict with the intent of the manual. You could also use 3 across boosters If you don't mind putting your almost 5yo in one for an occasional trip.

The only conflict is a harnessed car seat installed on the passenger side with any passenger using the seat belt, including boosters, next to it in the middle.

Personally, if it was my own child, there would likely be scenarios I could evaluate in person to make sure the center seat shoulder belt could not possibly be affected and then consider using it anyway. I suspect it is very unlikely for an rstv on the passenger side to cause a problem but I haven't seen it in person, sorry.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC