Question Questions for Triplets

jjordan

Oh I don't disagree there...it would be something where I would (sadly) put together a spreadsheet with pros/cons to see if I can find a massive discrepancy. In what is important to me plus the amount we drive our cars, often times deters us away from what seems like a good deal for a used van. Every time we have looked into one, they have just been...well...kid destroyed. Sure, my kids will most likely do that to our car, but it's just different knowing it's mine than it is that it was someone else's kid who decided to get toenail polish in the car. Not to mention, most are just right there under that threshold before common repairs start to happen. We all lead busy lives and I am out of town a lot...I just couldn't imagine my wife needing a repair on something for her car and all the kids...then balancing the repair time into my days home.

Again...my neurosis is not the norm...so take it for what it's worth. :eek:

I wasn't responding to you, but to the OP's question. :) Nothing wrong with spreadsheet-ing a decision... I am currently paralyzed about choosing an oven! :D

ADS

rsrvoir

I cannot personally see or drive the used toyota ahead of time (it is about 1k miles away). I would have to get that one through a my agent's area representative who would give it a thorough inspection, report back to us, and let us decide before purchase.

Part of me says it is crazy to consider a 35k vehicle for sure. Part of me thinks the safety and reliability is worth it. I have done some rough ten year cost of ownership projections (both of our current cars are 10 years old, and I hope to get at least that much out of this purchase).

Assuming that the new car would have higher interest/higher insurance/lower maintenance/lower repairs whereas used car would have lower interest/lower insurance/higher maintenance/higher repairs. For simplicity sake, treating all of that as a wash (ie discounts in insurance would be offset by increases in repairs), the real cost of ownership variable is depreciation.

Assuming that over 10 years, each would depreciate 75%.

For new, 32,650*.75=24,487.50
For used, 12,650*.75=9,487.50

Difference of $15,000 total or $1500 per year or $125 per month to go new vs used. Adds up for sure, but would be a very different driving experience (years 1-10 of a vehicle is surely better than 7-17, leather vs cloth, backup camera vs none, etc.).

DawgDad

Seriously...I get a warm and fuzzy feeling hearing all that analytic decision making going on. Hopefully we have been of some assistance...you certainly have done your homework.

rsrvoir

Decided to take home a 2014 odyssey ex-l. 32,350+ttl for 34,700 drive out. Based on true car pricing, some were able to get down to 31,400, but the price was at least $700 cheaper than any of the other dealerships I spoke to. Ultimately decided to go with the current safety features such as design (2014 passed the small overlap crash test), backup camera, right side camera, etc. Think it will help the wife transition to a much larger car with bigger blind spots.

Thanks all for the helpful thoughts!

sunnydayz

Decided to take home a 2014 odyssey ex-l. 32,350+ttl for 34,700 drive out. Based on true car pricing, some were able to get down to 31,400, but the price was at least $700 cheaper than any of the other dealerships I spoke to. Ultimately decided to go with the current safety features such as design (2014 passed the small overlap crash test), backup camera, right side camera, etc. Think it will help the wife transition to a much larger car with bigger blind spots. Thanks all for the helpful thoughts!

Congrats!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC