Question Outgrowing Nautilus in booster, need seat suggestions.

hesgimenez

After posting elsewhere today I decided to see if I needed to raise the back of DS seat. Only to discover it's at its highest. His shoulders are just about touching the red belt guides. I am going to check again tomorrow as we were leaving. After looking around I realized the Nautilus has a 100lb weight limit. As does the Graco Surround in DH car. :eek:

DS gained more weight this past school year than normal so we'll be needing two new boosters.

DS is 54"-ish, 92-95lbs, 8 1/2. Comfort wise, the Nautilus is awesome. Fits well in the seat-not tight or uncomfortable (he's solid vs chunky). Loves the built in deep cup-holder. I'd love another high back for my car, okay with NBB for DH car. It'd need the 120 weight limit, or higher.

I liked the look of the Recaro Performance booster on Amazon but that doesn't go backless. I'm open to any and all suggestions!

And just confirming, GN in backless, still has the 100lb weight limit, correct? Silly question-but why?

Thank you for the help!!

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
How close is he to passing the 5 step test? If he's close, I wouldn't be surprised if he managed to pass it before hitting 100# at his height. There's nothing wrong with a nuerotypical 8.5yo in a backless in all cars. If my child were that size, I'd probably get an Incognito and a Cardiff booster seat headrest and call it a day.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cardiff-Booster-Seat-Headrest/dp/B00GOP6HVQ"]Amazon.com : Cardiff Booster Seat Headrest : Childrens Highchairs : Baby[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Incognito-Positioning-Black/dp/B00FLXBHIU/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1404625628&sr=1-1&keywords=incognito"]Amazon.com : Safety 1st Incognito Kid Positioning Seat, Black : Child Safety Booster Car Seats : Baby[/ame]

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I personally would be comfortable exceeding the stated weight limit on a backless booster, but that's not something I can actually recommend that you do.

hesgimenez

I re-checked the fit today. His shoulders are past the red seatbelt guides, they are touching the bottom of the head wings.

He isn't near 5 stepping in my car. Not sure about DH car. But he rarely rides in his car.

I personally would be comfortable exceeding the stated weight limit on a backless booster, but that's not something I can actually recommend that you do.

;)

I'm going to remove the back. I'm hoping we've got the weight gain under control so he'll have some more time before he hits the weight limit.

Thanks for the suggestion on a booster PP!

Athena

My DD's about half an inch taller and rides in the PKWY and FR85 in booster mode. She doesn't have a lot of growing room in the PKWY, so I wouldn't want to buy one now if I didn't have someone to hand it down to or really liked it in LBB mode. Also, although they fit her well, she weighs a lot less, so I don't know if he'd feel squished. Once you get into tall boosters, there aren't as many HBB choices. HTH.

hesgimenez

My DD's about half an inch taller and rides in the PKWY and FR85 in booster mode. She doesn't have a lot of growing room in the PKWY, so I wouldn't want to buy one now if I didn't have someone to hand it down to or really liked it in LBB mode. Also, although they fit her well, she weighs a lot less, so I don't know if he'd feel squished. Once you get into tall boosters, there aren't as many HBB choices. HTH.

We stopped at BRU yesterday to see if they had anything. They didn't have a Frontier but had the seat that starts with a P 70. I did have DS sit in it. He fit nicely and had plenty of growing room. But I don't think that buying the Frontier is the best. I was just surprised to realize how much he'd grown. I'd planned to remove the back from the Nautilus when needed-just thought it'd be farther in the future I guess.

Athena

We stopped at BRU yesterday to see if they had anything. They didn't have a Frontier but had the seat that starts with a P 70. I did have DS sit in it. He fit nicely and had plenty of growing room. But I don't think that buying the Frontier is the best. I was just surprised to realize how much he'd grown. I'd planned to remove the back from the Nautilus when needed-just thought it'd be farther in the future I guess.

I wasn't suggesting you buy a frontier now. ;) (not that you thought that) We already had them and my DD is younger and prefers the back. But if he's okay with backless and likes his current seat, I'd try that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC