How do I mention seat safety?

linneabw

I started watching a 3 month old, they gave me a new snugride 22 (rear adjust) to use and said they had one from a relative to use. It's a Safeseat (my favorite) but expired. How do I kindly tell them it's not safe without looking like I am snoopy or bossy? She comes in that seat, I use my seat so I basically have two seats in the house when she's here. I want to buy a new seat to use for her because I fear she'll outgrow the sr22. Should I let them use the seat I buy or does that seem rude, like the one they gave me isn't good enough? What if they don't care that the seat is expired? Is it against the law? Does it fall into the proper use clause?

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The SR22 is fine and the SS is expired right? (BTW, Graco seats expire in December of the 6th year after they were made, not 6years from the manu date if that buys them some time)

If that is correct above, just say, hey, I noticed your SS is expired and feel guilty about using your good seat since I have another one to use for myself, so go ahead and take the SR22 back so you can use it.

linneabw

Yes, SS is expired. It said '07 I believe, but I will double check.

I asked them if they had a base for me to use, so they know I don't have a seat. So either I have to tell them I bought one (haven't yet) or just wait and see what they say.

The thing is I really don't want to use the snugride 22.

CMeMeC

The thing is I really don't want to use the snugride 22.

I would use the seat they provide if it is safe, even if it wasn't my preferred choice. I used to watch my niece and she also has a sr22. It was new and safe so I used it. If someone were babysitting for me, I would not be ok with them using a seat other than the one I provide without discussing it with me. If you are ok buying a new one, I would politely mention that you noticed the seat they are using is expired and you could pick up one to use. In this situation, I think education is important, they may not know better. However, it's their kid and their choice.

Keeanh

There's nothing wrong with a rear-adjust SR22. I would do exactly what SITC suggested. You don't need another base for your car. Just install baseless.

seb3244

I would buy a new one and politely say this.

"There are a few things I as a parent have spent a lot of time researching and car seat safety is one of them and it has sort of become a hobby. That being said I bought a new car seat to use since I noticed yours is expired. I wanted to be sure to let you know because I can't/ won't use an expired car seat since it is not safe according to graco."

CMeMeC

I would buy a new one and politely say this.

"There are a few things I as a parent have spent a lot of time researching and car seat safety is one of them and it has sort of become a hobby. That being said I bought a new car seat to use since I noticed yours is expired. I wanted to be sure to let you know because I can't/ won't use an expired car seat since it is not safe according to graco."

I was under the impression that they gave her a new seat to use and the parents are using the expired seat. it isn't safe, but their choice to do so. I think it should be mentioned in case they don't know any better, but it isn't the babysitter's place to make those choices for the parents.

sm1982

"I read something recently that reminded me to check expiration dates on all my car seats. Turns out the one Baby was in today is expired and no longer considered safe to use. Would your other non-expired seat back? I don't mind picking up a seat to use in my car."

Edit: I misread it and thought they gave you the expired seat - sorry! Changed the wording..

babyherder

Or you could buy a convertible, act all excited about the great deal you got and the new seat you have, and ask if its ok to use it with baby because you can't wait to try it out! Then a couple days later mention their seat is expired and see if they'll use the infant seat they gave you.

jennzee

You could also just say (unless you've already been driving baby around in the 22 for a while) that you can't seem to get a good install on that seat...would they mind if you pick up a seat that you know works wells in your car and then they'd have the newer of their two seats to use themselves.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
How about, "I needed to replace a Graco seat because it's past the 6 year expiration date, so I switched some stuff around in my car and now have a seat available and don't need yours. Thanks for letting me use it up until now."

The implication is that one of your seats are expiring, but the message that Graco= 6 years is still out in the open for them to do with what they will.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Honestly...

I wouldn't mention it at this time.

If the SafeSeat is in good condition and just expired last December the odds of it failing to protect the child in an accident are slim. It's an infant seat; they won't be using it for long, most likely.

I would continue using the SR22 they provided you with for a little while. When it comes time to replace that because the child is outgrowing it (which will likely be within the next few months) I would use that as an opportunity to talk car seats with them. Maybe tell them you're planning to pick up a _____ (maybe an Apt would be a good choice) and ask if they want you to pick one up for them too while you're at the store, or whatever. Engage them in a conversation and find out what their plans are. If they tell you they've got another hand-me-down seat in the wings, that would be a good time to ask whether they've checked expiration dates and for recalls. Encourage them to visit with a CPST (maybe schedule a time you could all meet with one to make sure all your seats are installed correctly; that might make it so they don't feel like you're upstaging them with your superior car seat knowledge) and let the CPST give them the hard talk about used seats and expiration dates.

And, in the end, all you can really do is make sure the child is being transported safely in YOUR car. What they do with their kid in their car is outside your control. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC