Public transportation with a nearly 6yo

D&L's-mommy

We'll be visiting family outside NYC and decided to surprise dd with a trip to Manhattan. We're not sure yet if we will be taking the bus, subway, taxi, driving, etc. most of the time will be spent walking, But I want to be prepared for anything. I've never used public transportation with a child along and I am wondering if a bubblegum is my best option to bring along. She will be 6 yo in a month, 54lbs, 46". She typically rides harnessed, but is booster trained. Thanks

ADS

Suzibeck

I have never taken a taxi so I'm not sure but I would think they would have lap/shoulder belts and head support. If so, then the bubble bum would be fine in that situation.

BananaBoat

It's been a few years since I've been in an NYC cab, but I grew up nearby & lived there for several years...and I've never used a seat belt in a cab :duck:
Horrible, I know but it's just not intuitive like it is in a car...they typically start driving before you shut the door!

Anyway, for a 6 year old who could sit still on a Bubblebum I'd bring that. But, I'd probably just take the subway & not bother with cabs unless I didn't have an option. Even in Boston where the subway & bus system isn't as great at NYC I've never needed to take a cab with my kids. Between trains, buses & subways you shouldn't really need cabs unless you're really in a rush.

cantabdad

We've never needed a cab on our visits to NYC. The subways and buses go almost everywhere. That being said, a BubbleBum will give you the flexibility to hop in a cab if you prefer. You see a lot of late-model Camrys, Altimas, Escapes and the occasional Prius being used as taxis; almost all would have lap-shoulder belts in all positions and head restraints in at least the outboard seats.

gigi

I lived in NYC for 12 years and until my oldest was 5, went all over, never took a cab with my kids except when planned. You don't NEED a cab in Manhattan, sometimes people feel they "need" one but only because they don't familiarize themselves with how to use public transportation. I wouldn't lug around a booster seat. Just walk and take the subway. If it is raining, buy a couple umbrellas, otherwise just WALK. No better way to experience NYC.

Almost every cab will have suitable head support for a 6 year old in a booster and should have 3 working seatbelts. Sometimes a seatbelt is broken but 90% of the time they are fine. The big sedan cabs generally have the most room. USE SEATBELTS! I have been in 3 accidents while riding in cabs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC