Older vehicle options with 4WD/AWD that seat 6?

Kyras_Mama

We have been a one vehicle family for many years but are moving to WI this summer and DH will have to commute to work in the next town over (about 15 miles) so we'll be adding a second. We're looking for an older vehicle in the $2,000-$4,000 range with 4WD/AWD that will seat at least 6 with the thinking that DH will use our minivan when weather is fair and the other vehicle in bad weather and the rest of the time I'll use the second vehicle for kid-hauling in our small-town as we're thinking mileage will be better on our van. 6 passengers would be 2 adults, one 6 year old child who could be boostered (she's riding in a harmony defender in the van now but is mature enough and currently 39 lbs and in the middle of a growth spurt), a 5 year old in a ff combination seat, a rear-facing 3 year old and a baby due in November who will be in a chicco keyfit30 at least through the first winter with a base in each vehicle. We also have a largeish dog but as rarely as we will need to have him in the car with us we can just plan to take the van then. At this point I have no idea what's even out there to start looking that would fit the bill other than maybe the old Suburbans. Any suggestions for vehicles I should check into?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Another idea but harder to find. A Volvo V70 wagon with the third row seat and AWD. Problem is whether or not it would be suitable for the 5 & 6 year olds in the rear-facing back row seats. There were specific ranges for child weight and heights for those seats and you'd need to verify in an owner's manual to be sure.

Keeanh

I've been very happy with my Astro/Safari van. It has 1-2 lap-belt-only positions (depending on if you have the 7 or 8p version), but that's not a problem unless you have more than 6 people who need shoulder belts. You can fit ANYTHING in those vans, and installs are super easy. The only thing I don't like about mine is that it's the RWD version. But lots of those vans are AWD. You would want 2000 or later for the tether anchors. It only comes with 3 factory tethers, but the cargo hooks are structural (I'm comfortable using them), and there are holes on the seatbelt anchor bar that are perfect for aftermarket TAs (again, not "official", but I'm happy with them).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC