Airplane travel plan help

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
NannyFam has asked for guidance for an upcoming flight. They are taking a multi-hour flight with a connection to a 7-hr flight, with rental van at their destination. They are very (very) concerned about toddler's behavior on these flights, as she is not a carseat sleeper. They also want something easy to install in the car and that is able to use the tray table on the airplane, as well as comfortable. They have GoGoKidz or something similar - wheels for the carseat, so weight is apparently not a concern. Parents are concerned about safety but are willing to make some tradeoffs for convenience.

Kids are 20m, 23ish lb and 4y, 35ish lb. 4y is not booster ready. 1y will be FF on plane and RF in car.

They have MA70s and FR90s. I have a Radian, Maestro, or Scenera. (I also have MyRide, Nextfit, etc but I don't think they are practical as travel seats!)

Idea 1 - Take MA70 on the plane. Used by toddler for takeoff/landing, while 4y sits in airplane seat. Toddler then has ability to curl up in empty airplane seat to sleep while 4y uses carseat during cruise, or kids alternate who is in carseat and who is in airplane seat to give them some variety. RSTV at destination for 4y. (I *think* this idea has been scrapped - not sure family was crazy about idea of buying RSTV.)

Idea 2 - Take FR90 on plane, gate check MA70. Toddler would use FR90 on plane and 4y would use airplane seatbelt. Family is aware that toddler does not meet minimums for FR90 use and is comfortable making the educated decision to use it for her on the airplane. We are still debating the gate-checking of the MA70; they know I am not a fan of the idea but that they are ultimately the decision-makers. All I can do is educate.

Idea 3 - Take FR90 and Radian on plane, both used FFing. IMO this is the best plan. Downsides - Radian boot would also have to go along (Mom is not crazy about the idea, as it is one more thing to carry/lose,) Radian straps may be below shoulders for flight as family will not be rethreading them. Family would have to learn to install Radian RFing (Dad has capacity to learn but not much patience.) How is the RFing Radian install in a rental van? I am thinking it's likely to be a Town & Country; is there a LATCH slippage issue in this vehicle?

Could the Radian boot be tied onto the seat somehow (I am thinking a string run through the RF belt path) so that it wouldn't be an "additional" piece to lose, but loose enough that it wouldn't interfere with the FF install?

Summary: Given the seats we have, is there a better plan? Having never flown with kids, I can advise as best as possible but thought some been there, done that might help.

ADS

T4K

Can 4 year old fit in radian? I would probably being MA70 and Radian. Tray table won't work with the MA but at that age, my kid just played with stuff in her lap anyway.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
4yo fits in pretty much whatever. RF, his head comes to the bottom of the sun on the old SK logo. Not sure FF; he's on the top click of the ProSport but he's only over the one below it by a hair (or maybe not even, but it was too close for comfort.)

They are insistent on tray table. I suggested RF toddler on the plane so she could see/interact with parent and just putting DVD player on her lap & just about got laughed out of the kitchen. I understand why, too, she'd toss everything over the side in no time flat. She's... spirited lol. Not sure the tray table will help, but it's their trip.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC