Odyssey vs Pilot

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
We are looking for a new to us vehicle.
2 adults, 2 boosters and occasionally 2 teenagers when they feel cool enough to go out with us or are bumming a ride. I also have a RF nephew who is with me often (4-5 days a week)

In our price range we are looking at 2008-2010.
We want the ability to tow a pop up tent trailer.
Any preference for one over the other? Things to watch for or avoid?

ADS

tl01

I know the ody has a low tow rating but a pop up is light right? You can add tranny cooler to help. I think I would go with a ody if you can just because of the space and the ease of loading and unloading. Earlier odysseys had tranny issues but those seem to be pretty much fixed by the years you are considering.

Just checked.. I think the pilot and ody have the same 3500 lb row rating at least for 2009.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I just looked up our '10 Odyssey's tow rating the other day while on a road trip, just for fun, to see if it would pull a pop-up. I forget what the exact rating was, but it was higher than I expected. Sorry, that's not much help, but maybe some encouragement?

DawgDad

I am pretty sure both have the same towing capacity. Getting a cooler on your tranny is always a good addition if you plan on towing often or for long periods of time.

I would always suggest an Odyssey anytime someone is considering that or an SUV. There is more room and comfort for all sizes of passengers in an Odyssey (the 3rd row in the Pilot is just not comfortable for adult sized people and won't really encourage your "too cool for school" teenagers to join you) and when you fold that 3rd row down, the added height and size, you can fit a TON more in that car. We are talking going to Home Depot and grabbing 30+ bags of mulch.

And then it comes to safety...Odyssey wins here. If you can find a 2011 in your price range, I think you will like how much better that model is than the 2010...the base features they added to each line (especially comparing the EX-L's) is tremendous.

ahgirls

100% agreed! I can haul 5 adults plus my big SN car seat kid comfortably. This weekend she threw a new one in. We had all of the above plus her joovy doll car seat in the 3rd row between 2 adults. Dawgdad is right, I am still sometimes amazed what I can haul when my 3rd row is folded down. We have an 06.

I am pretty sure both have the same towing capacity. Getting a cooler on your tranny is always a good addition if you plan on towing often or for long periods of time.

I would always suggest an Odyssey anytime someone is considering that or an SUV. There is more room and comfort for all sizes of passengers in an Odyssey (the 3rd row in the Pilot is just not comfortable for adult sized people and won't really encourage your "too cool for school" teenagers to join you) and when you fold that 3rd row down, the added height and size, you can fit a TON more in that car. We are talking going to Home Depot and grabbing 30+ bags of mulch.

And then it comes to safety...Odyssey wins here. If you can find a 2011 in your price range, I think you will like how much better that model is than the 2010...the base features they added to each line (especially comparing the EX-L's) is tremendous.

henrietta

We just bought an '09 Ody and I had narrowed it down to the same two vehicles. :)

We have three kids, ages 8, 5, and 7 months. So, booster, ff'ing harness for a few more weeks or months, and rear facing convertible seat. The van works better for us b/c our 8 year old can get in and out of the back (third row) much easier than in the Pilot. I really wanted the Pilot, but the Ody works much better for us. In the Ody, you could fit one booster kid on one outboard seat, one booster kid in the center "plus one" seat *if* it's a really narrow booster, and the rear facing nephew on the other outboard seat. As long as both boosters are easy to move out of the way (small, lightweight, non latch), you'll have easy access to the third row, but it's not a great center seat for anyone. OR you can use the plus one seat as a drink holder (it folds down for that) or remove it, put rear facing nephew on one outboard seat, and let one or both of the booster riders ride in the third row. OR you can remove the plus one seat, and slide the outboard passenger seat towards the center, making an easy aisle to the third row (much easier for bigger kids or grown ups to access the third row!). You may be able to *ALL* ride in the Ody this way. Both teens in the third row on either side of a booster rider OR one teen in between both booster riders. You've got options. The van will pull a trailer or a pop up or a small boat. :) Every van we've had has pulled those things with no trouble. And lots of storage behind the third row, even with it in use.

The Pilot, OTOH, won't allow you to swap the seat configurations around, BUT three in a row in the second or third row is probably easier to fit, but harder to access. Teens would probably think it's way cooler to ride in the Pilot. LOL A bit less storage or carrying space in the back. Nice to drive. Pretty comfortable. I really, really liked the size of the Pilot. I still sort of wish for the Pilot. LOL BUT then I think of the nice sliding doors on the van and the ease of getting the little kids in and out...and I'm over it! LOL ;)

In your shoes, esp if the booster riders are older ones that won't be in boosters for too much longer, I'd pick whatever makes you happiest. They both have side curtain airbags and other nice safety features. And older kids won't have as much trouble getting in and out or need as much help, so that's less of a consideration. :)

GL!

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
If we can go up in price, should we look at the '11-12 Odyssey?
Should I put away the funds for the belt/water pump?
I hear there was an issue with the tires, anyone know?

Also, thanks so much for all the info, it is really helping is make a decision.

Jackie010307

The timing belt is 8 years or 105,000 (I think it's 105, might be 100,000). I usually recommend having the tensioner, water pump, and serpintine belt done at the same time. Labor is going to be around $600 depending on what the hourly cost is in your area and all of the above require access to the same area. No sense in replacing one and having to pay the labor cost again when one of the other items needs replacing. Again, depending on prices in your area, look to spend $1k to $1,300 for everything.

tl01

If we can go up in price, should we look at the '11-12 Odyssey?
Should I put away the funds for the belt/water pump?
I hear there was an issue with the tires, anyone know?

Also, thanks so much for all the info, it is really helping is make a decision.

The 2005 touring had the PAX tires issue if that's what you are wondering about. You can always de pax or find one that is de paxed. If you buy an ody with close to 105k miles or 7 years old which ever comes first then I would be prepared to do the timing belt and water pump. Also, the timing belt has to be done before it breaks otherwise it can create damage or even ruin the engine. Perfect looking belts can fail.

I much prefer the 2011-2014 odyssey personally. I would check out both models and see which you prefer. They are both great! I would avoid 2011 if you can only because it is the first year of the new design. That said.. It has proven to be pretty reliable to far.

ahgirls

We knew at time of purchase we would need to de PAX and time belt change in 2 years. We just saved a little each month. Last fall we de PAXed, this spring we did the water pump & timing belt.
The 2005 touring had the PAX tires issue if that's what you are wondering about. You can always de pax or find one that is de paxed. If you buy an ody with close to 105k miles or 7 years old which ever comes first then I would be prepared to do the timing belt and water pump. Also, the timing belt has to be done before it breaks otherwise it can create damage or even ruin the engine. Perfect looking belts can fail.

I much prefer the 2011-2014 odyssey personally. I would check out both models and see which you prefer. They are both great! I would avoid 2011 if you can only because it is the first year of the new design. That said.. It has proven to be pretty reliable to far.

MommyShannon

If we can go up in price, should we look at the '11-12 Odyssey? Should I put away the funds for the belt/water pump? I hear there was an issue with the tires, anyone know? Also, thanks so much for all the info, it is really helping is make a decision.
The '11-'12s are easier to put 3 across the 2nd row. The '10 and earlier let you slide a captain's chair over to access the 3rd row easier. Since you'd only have 1 RF though plus boosters, I think both would work well for you.

DawgDad

The '11-'12s are easier to put 3 across the 2nd row. The '10 and earlier let you slide a captain's chair over to access the 3rd row easier. Since you'd only have 1 RF though plus boosters, I think both would work well for you.

That's exactly how I was going to put it. The '11+ model series do have more features that are just "standard" on trim levels that were add ons or not even available in the '10. These are primarily technology related like back up camera, tailgate lift, bluetooth integration, usb, cooling box, etc. When we had a '09, we had a backup camera, but it was through the rearview mirror instead of the large screen (had to upgrade to nav).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC