Question Honda Odyssey question

ks1978

I know that there have been numerous threads regarding differences in current generation honda Odysseys and then those from the last generation. I have read most threads about these subject several times and one question I had was about safety-is 2011 and newer significantly safer than a 2010 model? Someone posted that but I would love clarification.

I've been looking for more than a month but can't decide what I want-a 2010 with lots of features or a 2011+ with less. There's a 2010 touring locally for $23000 and then 2011-2012 ex models in $20,000-22,000 range with similar miles (35-45K) if there is a big difference in safety- that would probably sway my decision. Personally, I like outside of newer model more but inside of older one more.

I'll be coming from a 2003 ford expedition so I imagine even the basic features in an EX will make me happy-but I really want a sun/moonroof even though I doubt I would use it much. I also love the idea of having the RES and power everything :) I know those are just wants though! I have a 15 year old, 12 year old and 6 year old so fitting in multiple carseats won't be an issue.
Thoughts?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Hard to say. Both generations are similar in size, weight and crash test results. The NHTSA changed some of their testing procedures in 2011, so it is impossible to compare them directly. The changes to pass the IIHS small overlap crash test did not happen until 2014. That's the same year Honda added a basic frontal crash alert system.

I think you are getting one of the safest vehicles on the road either way. The main differences will be in the 2nd row center seat along with the interior and exterior styling changes.

One benefit of a lower mileage 2011-2012 is that you maybe be able to have the warranty transferred if there is any left. Wouldn't be a big deal if you have a Honda certified used one of course.

ks1978

Thank you for the reply. :) I ended up getting the 2010 touring. I was told by a friend to quit agonizing over one being safer when they are both very safe cars. It is black with black leather and that sold me! It only has 36000 miles on it and $23,000 was too good to pass up. I'm so impressed with all the features-I cannot believe I have such a fancy car now! I was very overwhelmed after signing everything, I feel incredibly undeserving to have such a nice car. I am already having some separation anxiety with my expedition, even though we didn't trade it in and aren't getting rid if it yet. I love that car-but I know the odyssey is more practical for our uses!

henrietta

Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Did you purchase thru a dealer? The Honda certified deal is really nice, but we also learned that a private purchase can transfer their warranty. We didn't get a Honda certified (too many miles), but if we'd bought ours privately, we could have transferred their warranty that they'd paid extra for. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC