Booster rules

koda&phiasmama

Would you choose to re-harness a 57 inch 77lb just turned 8 year old ( if possible ) because he can not follow the rules of being in a booster even though he's been in a booster for almost a year.

Every time I turn around DS is leaning to talk to DD2 or picking something up or just straight up being and jerk and not sitting in position. This isn't new I've been trying to correct the behavior for weeks and nothings changed the only threat I have is re-harnessing him if he even fits in the frontier 85 anymore I'm not sure ! I have other kids to pass down to but I can't afford a new britax combo right now and I'm not even sure it would fit in my dumb 3 across anyway.

I just want to know if you could make it work seat wise and car wise would it be ridiculous based on his size ? And he really is 4 feet 9 inches not a typo he looks 10 years old, people gasp when I say he's newly 8.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I would put the rules down and make consequences for not following them.

For me, the consequences of not following booster rules absolutely would be being moved to a harnessed seat, at least for the remainder of the day.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I doubt he'd fit, but I absolutely would re-harness an 8yo who is not behaving in a booster. I would also impose other consequences for unsafe behavior.

Baylor

For me, the consequences of not following booster rules absolutely would be being moved to a harnessed seat, at least for the remainder of the day.

Not me. It would be something else he liked. It would be research about what happens when you are not well restrained in a car. The consequence can not always be reharnessing. This child is probably too big. So it has to be something that he can not eventually outgrow and something that will mean something to him.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The OP specified:

if you could make it work seat wise and car wise

Not me. It would be something else he liked. It would be research about what happens when you are not well restrained in a car. The consequence can not always be reharnessing. This child is probably too big. So it has to be something that he can not eventually outgrow and something that will mean something to him.

I know from my own learned-the-hard-way research that the NATURAL consequence -natural meaning unavoidable and that it happens with no intent of my own- that having to constantly correct a child for being out of position is a huge distraction to my own driving and that I crash when driving distracted. Reharnessing can't always be the answer, that is correct, but the question wasn't "what do you do if reharnessing isn't possible". The question is "Assuming reharnessing IS an option, is doing so a logical consequence to not following booster rules. Since for myself, I would prefer the logical (and safer) consequences to the natural (dangerous) consequences.

Furthermore, I did keep my kids harnessed until past age 8, including using a 86-Y harness for a SN child who was 5 foot tall and thus larger than the OP's child. So while you are talking hypothetically about how unneeded it is to take such drastic steps, I've lived with the reality that sometimes it really is the best choice. I remember quite well how it felt to have people act like I was a paranoid nut without any skills in getting my kid to just obey the rules and having that memory, I stand by my original statement that reharnessing is a valid choice and find the judgmental tone not the least bit helpful in answering the question that was actually asked.

gigi

Assuming the kid is neurotypical, I would not. I would ask the kid what the issue is (which you probably have done). At that size, I'd wonder if he's uncomfortable in a HBB. I'd probably try a LBB too see if that solved the issue.

If not, that kid wouldn't be allowed in the car except for necessary outings. I'd leave him home with dad for every outing possible until he shapes up. I'd also explain, in graphic detail, what would happen to him in the event.of a crash AND that he is making a crash more likely by distracting me, which means he is also putting every other member of the family at risk.

MommyShannon

If he fit, yes, I would reharness. My 52-53" DD is right at the limit of our FR85 though so he likely wouldn't fit. I'm curious too about what he uses now. I found DD started sitting better in her lbb around 8 then hbb. She likes seeing everything going on and didn't like how restrictive the hbb feels. I wouldn't reward bad behavior with it though, so maybe you could let him know that if he behave in the car for a week, he can switch to a lbb. That also gives you leverage to move back to the hbb if he doesn't sit well.

I would re-harness. I view behavioral issues in the car a little differently because as much as I'd like to say "well if you won't sit properly we won't be going anywhere" that isn't always a possibility. I have things to do and you have to come with me. Taking things away in the house is another way to go but I tend toward natural consequences or consequences as closely related to the issue as possible. Can't sit properly without my prompting and constant reminders not to fling your body across the back seat? Well then get used to riding like the NASCAR racers do because ain't nobody got time to worry about your recreation of cirque de soleil in my back seat while I'm in 5:00 traffic.

Unless I trust a child 100% to sit properly then they are harnessed because I find myself looking back at them through the rear view mirror too often while driving and that is dangerous for all of us. I don't want to be reminding a child more than once to sit properly, I need to focus on the road not on you trying to stick your finger up your sister's nose.

If you have access to an appropriately-sized restraint, I would put the child back in the harness until I felt that they had received the message.

koda&phiasmama

I really appreciate all the feedback on this !

He already sits in a low back booster because my car and 3 across make fitting anything very difficult plus there are no headrests. The parkway just sat very funny and was difficult to buckle.

He is very leggy so I can give the fr 85 a shot but I'm not sure it's going work. I'm glad some people would choose that option though because I was feeling like it was crazy but his behavior is extremely distracting !

Athena

He is very leggy so I can give the fr 85 a shot but I'm not sure it's going work. I'm glad some people would choose that option though because I was feeling like it was crazy but his behavior is extremely distracting !

NOT crazy at all. I would find it way too distracting and worrisome to focus adequately on driving. Good luck!

Right now, I have the same problem with my 9 yo son.
I was wondering if locking the belt for a trip would help him to remember how to sit properly.
Do you think that it could be a consequence for not following the booster's rule? Would it be safe? At 8 yo or 9 yo, is the risk for submarine (because the seat belt is locked ) is still significant?

Carseatcoach: you are right, my Sienna prohibits locking the seatbelt. I've not checked for my mazda5.
But even thought the car or the booster prohibits locking the seatbelt, what is worst? Having a child beeing often off position or having the seatbelt locked? Or maybe, there is an alternative that OP and I could use that would be safer???
Does anyone have videos demonstrating what can happen in a car crash if a child is not in a good position in the booster? I think my kid would be receptive to a video.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC