Traveling/flying with a 5 and 6 yr old

gsdguenter

I found out I was selected for the 2nd team IWFL All-Stars (women's pro tackle football) to represent the eastern conference and will be flying to Charlotte, NC at the end of July :) Championship Week is in Rock Hill, SC. Anyway...

I have a few travel questions, as I am flying with my mom and my 5 and 6 year old. It's my kids' first time flying.

1. What restraints should I bring, if any, for the plane? We will be flying US Airways (1stop on the way down and non-stop on the return flight).

A teammate is bringing my gear down in her car (it's a 15 hr. drive so the other players I know are opting to drive) so we are choosing not to bring luggage, but 1 carry on each.

2. Should I gate check a stroller? DD2 wears AFOs and can't walk long distances. She's fine for short, but no way she could keep up through an airport! If so, options for a good, lightweight stroller that will hold a 5 yr old? I think she's 45lbs.

3. I'm renting a car and will need child restraints obviously. This is what I have to choose from:

FR85
Nauti
ProSport
Maestro
Foonf
RNXT/SLs

Monterey
TB
Parkway
Ozzi
Oobr
RSTV x2

DD2 is ff in a harness and is not booster ready, but has ridden in a small RSTV about 3 times. DD1 rides ff harnessed and in a hbb and RSTV. She has never ridden in a nbb, but I wouldn't be opposed for the trip.

I think that's it. Thanks!

ADS

T4K

Will you need a stroller at your destination?

Can DD2 fit in a radian? I'd wheel the radian on a luggage cart IF DD2 can sit in it criss cross applesauce. You can give her legs breaks that way through the airport. If she can't maybe a stroller would be better.

I would def bring a NBB for your DD1.

T4K

Oh! I forgot about the RSTV! I think in your situation, I would bring a stroller to the airport and also bring the RSTV and NBB. The girls can sit in the airplane seats. That seems the least stressful. :)

gsdguenter

Oh! I forgot about the RSTV! I think in your situation, I would bring a stroller to the airport and also bring the RSTV and NBB. The girls can sit in the airplane seats. That seems the least stressful. :)

Ok, so would the nbb count as a carry on you think? Like, would I be able to bring it on the plane and a bag?

The nbb and RSTV is kinda what I was thinking, so Im glad someone else agrees lol.

Yes, DD2 does fit criss cross applesauce in the RN.

I think DD2 would enjoy having a stroller for the destination, as I'm sure we'll be doing a lot of walking. I just sold my BOB, not that that would have been a good travel stroller anyway lol. I don't have another stroller. I'm sure she'll need one for our Disney trip planned for February vacation 2015 though.

T4K

Ok, so would the nbb count as a carry on you think? Like, would I be able to bring it on the plane and a bag? The nbb and RSTV is kinda what I was thinking, so Im glad someone else agrees lol. Yes, DD2 does fit criss cross applesauce in the RN. I think DD2 would enjoy having a stroller for the destination, as I'm sure we'll be doing a lot of walking. I just sold my BOB, not that that would have been a good travel stroller anyway lol. I don't have another stroller. I'm sure she'll need one for our Disney trip planned for February vacation 2015 though.

Well, there are four of you, right? Will you be maxed out on carryons and personal items?

sarahknavy

Well, there are four of you, right? Will you be maxed out on carryons and personal items?

I do believe car seats and strollers do not count as personal items. You might want to check and see if they have an age limit but I know you are allowed to check car seats and a stroller for free just not sure about the booster. We always just gate check ours and no one has counted our other items. I think seats are always counted separately.

so three suitcases, one purse, one bag for the kids distractions, and the booster. I don't think anyone would be against that

sarahknavy

I do believe car seats and strollers do not count as personal items. You might want to check and see if they have an age limit but I know you are allowed to check car seats and a stroller for free. We always just gate check ours and no one has checked our other items. I think seats are always counted separately.

TnT's Mom

Congrats on making the team! We just got back from trip and my 9 yr old had his lite rider with him and a backpack. The airline said one carryon and a small personal item per person. Basically so one thing can fit under your seat. We stuck his lite rider in the overhead. I actually had a bag with handles it fit in which was great. On a side note I was pleased to see several families carrying LB boosters on! And quite a few harnessed seats too.

When my son was your daughters age he was still able to fit in a Maclaren Volo (snugly but he fit. Lol) We used that as our travel stroller as his stamina was still low at that age. Easy to push and fold up. Not sure if you could get a hold of one but it worked well for us.

sunnymw

I was gonna say, why not just take RSTV x2?

Strollers shouldn't count as personal items either. Jake was 7 when we flew and he toted a car seat also. When I calculated it, I was permitted to have, per child, an additional carryon, diaper bag, car seat, and stroller.

bubbaray

I would (& have for my own children) do LBBs at that age. Start getting the youngest ready now. I wouldn't take a stroller unless there is a medical need.

T4K

I would (& have for my own children) do LBBs at that age. Start getting the youngest ready now. I wouldn't take a stroller unless there is a medical need.

The same medical need that prompted the stroller question is also why I think OP wants to harness younger kid.

gsdguenter

The same medical need that prompted the stroller question is also why I think OP wants to harness younger kid.

Yeah, DD2 has dyspraxia and hypotonia. She wears AFOs and tires easily. I couldn't booster her, she's way too floppy. I did think about bringing the maestro for her even, but will probably stick to the RSTV (it's the 2nd version and I use it with the top tether and lock the seat belt for her)

Still undecided on the stroller. My mom has a p3 she uses with her cuz she can't carry her if/when she tires. We could bring that I suppose.

bubbaray

If OP needs a stroller I suggest a Maclaren Volo. It is lightweight (8lbs) but holds a child up to 55lbs. A radian fits nicely in it.

bubbaray

A P3 is also a good travel stroller because it doesn't tip. Older kids fit in it. I just recently sold my P3 and Volo because DD1 (age 10, 55lbs) is still struggling with chronic pain after a foot fracture 3 yrs ago. Of course now that they are sold, she is having a flare up.

gsdguenter

I'm amazed! I entertained the idea of putting DD2 in a booster and tried her out in a tb. I think the fit is pretty good. We drove to my parents house and back (15 min.) and she stayed in position the whole time.

Obviously, it's new and she was on her best behavior. She wasn't tired so she was awake and lethargy wasn't a concern.

I'm just amazed at how much progress she's made strength-wise over the past year. Her speech, OT, and PT have helped so much :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC