Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Traveling/flying with a 5 and 6 yr old

I found out I was selected for the 2nd team IWFL All-Stars (women's pro tackle football) to represent the eastern conference and will be flying to Charlotte, NC at the end of July :-) Championship Week is in Rock Hill, SC. Anyway...

I have a few travel questions, as I am flying with my mom and my 5 and 6 year old. It's my kids' first time flying.

1. What restraints should I bring, if any, for the plane? We will be flying US Airways (1stop on the way down and non-stop on the return flight).

A teammate is bringing my gear down in her car (it's a 15 hr. drive so the other players I know are opting to drive) so we are choosing not to bring luggage, but 1 carry on each.

2. Should I gate check a stroller? DD2 wears AFOs and can't walk long distances. She's fine for short, but no way she could keep up through an airport! If so, options for a good, lightweight stroller that will hold a 5 yr old? I think she's 45lbs.

3. I'm renting a car and will need child restraints obviously. This is what I have to choose from:

FR85
    Nauti
    ProSport
    Maestro
    Foonf
    RNXT/SLs

Monterey
    TB
    Parkway
    Ozzi
    Oobr
    RSTV x2

DD2 is ff in a harness and is not booster ready, but has ridden in a small RSTV about 3 times. DD1 rides ff harnessed and in a hbb and RSTV. She has never ridden in a nbb, but I wouldn't be opposed for the trip.

I think that's it. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Will you need a stroller at your destination?

Can DD2 fit in a radian? I'd wheel the radian on a luggage cart IF DD2 can sit in it criss cross applesauce. You can give her legs breaks that way through the airport. If she can't maybe a stroller would be better.

I would def bring a NBB for your DD1.
    Mama to Baby Girl N - two years old
    Loving Stepmother of wonderful girls, H-9 and S-5

Oh! I forgot about the RSTV! I think in your situation, I would bring a stroller to the airport and also bring the RSTV and NBB. The girls can sit in the airplane seats. That seems the least stressful. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by T4K View Post
    Oh! I forgot about the RSTV! I think in your situation, I would bring a stroller to the airport and also bring the RSTV and NBB. The girls can sit in the airplane seats. That seems the least stressful. :-)
    Ok, so would the nbb count as a carry on you think? Like, would I be able to bring it on the plane and a bag?

The nbb and RSTV is kinda what I was thinking, so Im glad someone else agrees lol.

Yes, DD2 does fit criss cross applesauce in the RN.

I think DD2 would enjoy having a stroller for the destination, as I'm sure we'll be doing a lot of walking. I just sold my BOB, not that that would have been a good travel stroller anyway lol. I don't have another stroller. I'm sure she'll need one for our Disney trip planned for February vacation 2015 though.

Quote Originally Posted by gsdguenter View Post
    Ok, so would the nbb count as a carry on you think? Like, would I be able to bring it on the plane and a bag? The nbb and RSTV is kinda what I was thinking, so Im glad someone else agrees lol. Yes, DD2 does fit criss cross applesauce in the RN. I think DD2 would enjoy having a stroller for the destination, as I'm sure we'll be doing a lot of walking. I just sold my BOB, not that that would have been a good travel stroller anyway lol. I don't have another stroller. I'm sure she'll need one for our Disney trip planned for February vacation 2015 though.
    Well, there are four of you, right? Will you be maxed out on carryons and personal items?

Re: Traveling/flying with a 5 and 6 yr old

Well, there are four of you, right? Will you be maxed out on carryons and personal items?
    I do believe car seats and strollers do not count as personal items. You might want to check and see if they have an age limit but I know you are allowed to check car seats and a stroller for free just not sure about the booster. We always just gate check ours and no one has counted our other items. I think seats are always counted separately.

so three suitcases, one purse, one bag for the kids distractions, and the booster. I don't think anyone would be against that

Guess I'll call US Airways tomorrow then to check.

I do believe car seats and strollers do not count as personal items. You might want to check and see if they have an age limit but I know you are allowed to check car seats and a stroller for free. We always just gate check ours and no one has checked our other items. I think seats are always counted separately.

Would the Ozzi or backless tb be better? Heck, I could do 2 rstvs...

Senior Community Member TnT's Mom's Avatar
    Congrats on making the team! We just got back from trip and my 9 yr old had his lite rider with him and a backpack. The airline said one carryon and a small personal item per person. Basically so one thing can fit under your seat. We stuck his lite rider in the overhead. I actually had a bag with handles it fit in which was great. On a side note I was pleased to see several families carrying LB boosters on! And quite a few harnessed seats too.

When my son was your daughters age he was still able to fit in a Maclaren Volo (snugly but he fit. Lol) We used that as our travel stroller as his stamina was still low at that age. Easy to push and fold up. Not sure if you could get a hold of one but it worked well for us.
    DS#1 12yrs., 85lbs., 58"tall, 5-stepping in my car!
    DS#2 9yrs., 65lbs., 49" tall, Jane Indy, Compass Pathway B570

I was gonna say, why not just take RSTV x2?

Strollers shouldn't count as personal items either. Jake was 7 when we flew and he toted a car seat also. When I calculated it, I was permitted to have, per child, an additional carryon, diaper bag, car seat, and stroller.
    Sunny, a new patrol car, an old raggedy Civic, and:
    J | 10.06 | RSTV2(L)
    M | 07.08 | RSTV2(S)
    K | 07.11 | FN90CT

I would (& have for my own children) do LBBs at that age. Start getting the youngest ready now. I wouldn't take a stroller unless there is a medical need.
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    I would (& have for my own children) do LBBs at that age. Start getting the youngest ready now. I wouldn't take a stroller unless there is a medical need.
    The same medical need that prompted the stroller question is also why I think OP wants to harness younger kid.

The same medical need that prompted the stroller question is also why I think OP wants to harness younger kid.
    Yeah, DD2 has dyspraxia and hypotonia. She wears AFOs and tires easily. I couldn't booster her, she's way too floppy. I did think about bringing the maestro for her even, but will probably stick to the RSTV (it's the 2nd version and I use it with the top tether and lock the seat belt for her)

Still undecided on the stroller. My mom has a p3 she uses with her cuz she can't carry her if/when she tires. We could bring that I suppose.

If OP needs a stroller I suggest a Maclaren Volo. It is lightweight (8lbs) but holds a child up to 55lbs. A radian fits nicely in it.
    Melissa

A P3 is also a good travel stroller because it doesn't tip. Older kids fit in it. I just recently sold my P3 and Volo because DD1 (age 10, 55lbs) is still struggling with chronic pain after a foot fracture 3 yrs ago. Of course now that they are sold, she is having a flare up.
    Melissa

I'm amazed! I entertained the idea of putting DD2 in a booster and tried her out in a tb. I think the fit is pretty good. We drove to my parents house and back (15 min.) and she stayed in position the whole time.

Obviously, it's new and she was on her best behavior. She wasn't tired so she was awake and lethargy wasn't a concern.

I'm just amazed at how much progress she's made strength-wise over the past year. Her speech, OT, and PT have helped so much :-)