5-stepping help (pic)

kam1011

We are about to start carpooling with one of my daughter's teammates on a regular basis. It's an hour drive each way, 35 minutes on highway, the rest on super rural roads (full of deer :rolleyes: ).

Child is 10. Fit is terrible in the captains chairs, but how does she look in the third row? If she fits back there well, then I will have the girls ride back there everyday. To me, the belt looks good, but her feet don't touch the ground, which isn't technically one of the steps.

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Hmm, that lapbelt looks kind of high to me, and I think the shoulder belt might be a bad fit when she puts her arms down. Combined with her feet not touching the floor - she's likely to slouch on the long drive - and I'd just go ahead and put her in a backless booster.

veggiegirl228

I agree the lap belt looks high to me as well. It could be the picture but her knees don't look like they bend naturally on the edge of the seat, there close though.

cookie123

I thought the lap belt looked about as good as I've seen on a seat belt only. But the knees don't quite bend at the seat edge so I'd definitely use a booster.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I don't see a high lap belt at all. The belt is completely flat where it crosses under her hipbones. Looking at the middle of the belt is the equivalent of testing for movement on a harness seat somewhere other than the belt path. I have the feeling putting her in a booster any higher than an Incognito will lift her up to where the shoulderbelt falls too low. I do agree that without foot support she's going to end up slumping, but simply laying a folded yoga or beach towel on the floorboards will fix that.

OP, what vehicle is this?

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't see a high lap belt at all. The belt is completely flat where it crosses under her hipbones. Looking at the middle of the belt is the equivalent of testing for movement on a harness seat somewhere other than the belt path. I have the feeling putting her in a booster any higher than an Incognito will lift her up to where the shoulderbelt falls too low. I do agree that without foot support she's going to end up slumping, but simply laying a folded yoga or beach towel on the floorboards will fix that.

OP, what vehicle is this?

I agree with Kimberly's assessment. I think everything looks fine, except her legs. Her thighs look a little short so that her knees don't fully bend at the edge of the seat and her feet don't touch the floor. The positioning of the shoulder belt is fine; it could be closer to the middle of her collarbone, but any further out than that and it will slide off in a crash.

This would be fine for me for a short ride, but since it's a 35 min ride each way, I'd prefer an Incognito under her. And she might too since it's a "kid positioner" and not a booster.

kam1011

Thanks everyone. Since I went to bed early and then went to work and didn't check back here, we used a backless amp this afternoon. I'll try the incognito tonight when I pick them up. Usually my own daughter rides in it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC