"But I'm eight now!!!"

ADS

twinsmom

My newly-turned-9-year-olds are still in HBBs. They haven't asked to switch to LB and I'm in no hurry!

veggiegirl228

I'm lucky that DD (8) hasn't complained either. We're watching a movie and the girls are 11. One of them is on the smaller side and clearly needs to a booster, DD says "but she's 11".

steph

Ryan has asked, he thought 8 meant no more booster. I told him when he turns 4'9" we will talk. He is already 4'5" though so it might be sooner than I would like.

mommyfrog

My 9yo dd grew two inches in the last month or so and is now 4'9". She explained to my visiting SIL all about when she does and doesn't need a booster. She doesn't need it in cars with small back seats where the seat belt is on her hips, but she is safer riding in a booster in my van because the seat belts don't fit anyone correctly in there. I was wondering why she hadn't asked to move out of the booster in my van. She actually listened to my reasoning when I was talking to her brother about it six months ago when he got to 4'9".

aeormsby

I keep meaning to do a photo comparison of my 8yo with and without boosters in our vehicles (and different positions in the vehicles).

I didn't think of it early enough but I thought it would have been a cool topic for her school science/discovery fair (not sure she'd think that).

nannykates

My t is cool with her booster for now because she would rather sit on plastic now than have a bag of poop for the rest of her life (a conversation about internal injuries may have gone to the colostomy bag place). She turned 8 in may and I promised to 5 step test her as often as I see her(she is probably pretty close in the 3rd row of their ody but im not bringing that up yet). I know its going to be a fight to keep her in one come September though.

thekatie

Ryan has asked, he thought 8 meant no more booster. I told him when he turns 4'9" we will talk. He is already 4'5" though so it might be sooner than I would like.
J1 is 11, hovering between 95 and 97 pounds, and 4'11". I snapped pictures today of him in DH's car (Toyota Matrix), without a booster and with the Connext. He's nowhere near ready, to my untrained not-a-tech eye. We've hit all the "milestones" - age and height - but I've explained about the 5-step and just remind him he doesn't meet it.

Jackie010307

My 11 year old is excited that he finally passed the 5 step test! He says it's the only test he's ever struggled with! He is 5'2 and 85lbs. He has been the only child in his class in a booster since 2nd grade and he is going into 6th. Our kids tend to be super tall. He is not the tallest kid in his class but he is the second tallest. I can't imagine some of those kids not in a booster but I've seen many of them leave the school in the front seat. Most people stop using them on their child's 8th birthday. Dd is 7 and was the only one in her 1st grade class still in a high back. She's begging to be in a backless like her friends.

HappyHoo

I never really let my DD know that "8" was the legal age although she does know it now. But I'd always focused on how she would use a booster until she fit without one and talked about the 5 step test.

She has actually been okay with it even though now many of her friends don't use them (2 are a year older, but smaller than her). I did get the Incognito to use (and ended up needing it for our 3rd row).

She's got a few more inches to go to 4'9" - but is getting closer at 5 stepping in some places. She actually might in the center of our cars but I haven't tried her there yet to see. But she does like the hbb for sleeping - so hasn't asked yet to not use the Parkway in hbb mode.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC