Large SUV or Passenger Van

U

Unregistered

We are debating between a large SUV or passenger van. We have 5 kids (8,6,4,2 and 6 mos). Two boosters, 2FF and 1 RF. we currently have a Dodge caravan. Hate it! My eldest in the back has zero space, every ride turns into complaints. So my question is would a large SUV like a suburban work or are we better off with a van like the Nissan NV?

ADS

DawgDad

Have you driven any of the larger minivans like the Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, or Nissan Quest? They seem to utilize space better than Chrysler/Dodge. There are plenty on here who have 5-6 kids who get along great in an Odyssey...especially model years 2011+. They have 8 seats...and the one upfront in the second row is a legit real seat.

Just trying to save you $20K upfront from buying a Suburban or a huge NV (not to mention maintenance and gas).

tl01

Have you driven any of the larger minivans like the Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, or Nissan Quest? They seem to utilize space better than Chrysler/Dodge. There are plenty on here who have 5-6 kids who get along great in an Odyssey...especially model years 2011+. They have 8 seats...and the one upfront in the second row is a legit real seat.

Just trying to save you $20K upfront from buying a Suburban or a huge NV (not to mention maintenance and gas).

Agreed! I would especially try a current gen odyssey.

mom2ari

If you aren't interested in a different minivan (or even if you are) could you try to take a suburban (or a different model minivan) on an extended test drive, or rent one from somewhere for a week or two. That would give you a better taste as to whether or not it would really fit your family's needs or if something bigger is needed.

I have a few friends who had 5 in a suburban and no trouble at all, when they went to 6 it was a little bit more of a pain.

Also things to consider are how often will you want to let a friend or two ride along? Are you done having kids or is there potential for more in the future. These may factor into your decision as to how many seats you ultimately want.

jennzee

Following, as we are in a similar situation right now, except we are working with three booster and two rf'ing convertibles. We seem to have figured out a configuration that will buy us 6-9 months after the baby comes, but there's a very real possibility that we'll decide we need more space to work with.

Keeanh

Are you planning to have any more kids? I have an 8 passenger and a 15 passenger. I would never ever ever drive the big van with only 5 kids. No way. Too much of a hassle to park and maneuver. And it's not because it scares me. I've driven that thing through downtown Vancouver and Seattle. It's really just a big pain in the backside.

I would get an 04-10 Sienna or current gen Odyssey. Unless you routinely do long road trips and need tons of cargo room. Then I would say go for the NV or hold out for the Transit (supposedly coming next year). If you decide you need a full-size van but are on a budget, you could look at an 08 or later Econoline.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC