Some logistics questions - flying by myself with 2 year old twins and a newborn!!!

Lnp838

I just booked tickets today for myself and my now 19 month old (will be 2 year old) twin boys to see my family this Christmas. I am also nearly 22 weeks pregnant and will have a 2 month old when we make the trip. My husband is going to drive ahead of us in our car and can bring our carseats, but there is a chance he might not make it before us and we need alternate CRs until he arrives.

I also am weighing all of my options and I would REALLY prefer to have carseats for the twins for containment, comfort, and sleeping purposes on the plane. It isn't a terribly long flight (a little over 2 hours) and it is non-stop.

question #1 - what is the best way to drag the carseats along with a double stroller and a baby in a baby carrier? It is a city mini double - i keep wondering if there would be a way to bungee cord them to it but I am very doubtful. And how would I push both the stroller and a luggage cart? One leg of our journey is in the evening and I don't know if they could get any sleep in the CARES harness, but I haven't ruled it out. I have also considered forgetting the stroller and using two gogo kidz travel mates or something similar, but then I will need to do a diaper backpack along with a baby in the baby carrier to have any hands free.

question #2 - My mom is currently here and leaving Saturday. Can I send her with our extra infant bucket NOW to gate check….even though she won't have a baby with her? She is flying southwest and gets 2 free checked bags, but I would really rather the seat not be checked with the regular luggage. She doesn't care if she gets funny looks as long as its "legal". If its not, How should I package the seat so that it stays safe?

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Can you send 1 twin with DH and take the other 2 with you? Then switch twins on the return leg? That would give you airplane seats for both 2yo and baby. You'd be so much better off with a place to put baby down if 2yo has issues (I'm imagining trying to deal with motion sickness vomiting while wearing a baby.

bubbaray

I would call the airline and double/triple check they will let you fly with that many young children.

Why not drive with your DH?

Lnp838

safeinthecar- 13+ hours is really too long for them to be in the car without an overnight stop. We've done it before and it is miserable. I think it is better for them to have a nonstop 2 hour flight than have to be in carseats that long. i thought about sending my twins with DH, but what if DH has to use the restroom? He would have to bring them in with him wherever he goes since there wouldn't be another adult to supervise. Making that long of a drive by himself with kids just doesn't seem like a good idea, and I REALLY don't feel comfortable having an 8 week old in his carseat for 13-14 hours. And I would like to get a seat for the baby obviously, but after the price of 3 full priced tickets at Christmas time, it was cost prohibitive to buy a 4th seat if I don't have to, plus then one of my kids would be separated from us, and since they are 2 and under that isn't ok. Thankfully we have never had an issue with motion sickness.

bubbaray - yes, I already called when I booked the flight, but I knew it would be fine from my previous experience with the twins when my Dh was there. As long as we sit in a row that has an extra oxygen mask for the baby (the left side of the plane on Southwest) it is totally allowed. And I have to make sure the carseats don't block anyone from getting to the aisle if we put them rear facing - but that won't be a problem because we will take up an entire row.

jjordan

It is definitely possible to rig up two car seats on the stroller. We have done it several times with just a single umbrella stroller. And I'm not sure why you would need a luggage cart as well; dh is driving, so send all the luggage with him. Take only what you need for the actual flight - change of clothes for each person, diapers, wipes, snacks, etc.

Honestly I probably would not bring the double stroller unless you need it at your destination. Bring a single stroller to use as a luggage cart (load it up with the car seats and carry-ons), use a carrier for the baby, and have the twins walk. You will know by then how rascally they are when walking, and if they can be trusted to hold onto the side of the stroller and walk along with you, or if you need some sort of child leashes to keep them close by.

I have heard reference to people getting permission to have non-ticketed people help them get to their gate; I know nothing about the logistics of arranging for that, but I would make it your mission for the next 6 months to find out how to make that happen! And also see if you can do the same thing at your destination - have someone get permission to meet you at the gate. I did a quick search and this article came up; it's from 2011 but maybe something like that still exists.

Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC