2000 Suburban 7 seat belts with 6th baby on the way

amywarren33

I was hoping to have a 9 to 12 passenger by now but that isn't going to happen until spring at least (maybe later if I can make this work). Currently it has captains chairs (so only 7 seat belts) but I am searching for a 2nd row bench and having a hard time finding one.

I need a solid recommendation from someone who has experience with this vehicle.

I know there are several threads about 3rd row seating. Honestly I am completely confused about which seats to buy and I am tired of reading page after page of car seat forums. I am out of time as the baby will be here in 6 weeks or so and I cant "shop" forever. (With a busy family and business to run I have spent way too much time searching) I live in the country and have very limited time to shop so i need to be able to order seats online and know that they will fit without trying them out first. I need a solid recommendation so I can order or pick up at Walmart (possible Babies R Us) and be done, :)

I have to have 3 in the third row regardless of tethers, it will be impossible to not put 3 in the back. 6 kids plus me and 7 seat belts available! Even if i get a bench for the 2nd row I want all the kids in the back so husband can fit too if needed.

My in laws bought all the seats as gifts when each kid was born so I haven't picked out any of them or had the option of a different seat. $900 for 3 all new Radians is not feasible and I'm not convinced that it would work. But I might be able to buy 2 RN if something I already have will fit with them. Or purchase 3 cheaper seats at $150 or so each. Hoping I can puzzle one or 2 new seats with what I already have.

My third row is about 49-50" hip room.

here is the line-up:
Front passenger 16 yo son (adult size kid)

2nd row driver 13 yo son (adult size kid) these tall teens will not fit in the 3rd row comfortably at all

2nd row passenger 15 month old approx 20 lb rear facing in a Safety First 65 Sport convertible Dimensions: 20"L x 18"W x 24"H

3rd row driver 2 1/2 yo approx 32 lb forward facing in a Safety First Convertible All In One Dimensions: 22.50"L x 17.75"W x 27.75"H (online dimensions- measures a bit wider to me)

3rd row passenger almost 4 yo skinny 35 lb forward facing in the same seat as above

I have a Graco Infant Snugride with base 17.25 x 26.72 x 24.16 for the newborn but I would prefer to use one of the convertibles for the newborn in the 2nd row passenger (I use slings and carriers for little babies more than carrier seats) since I will have extra seats after buying ones that fit in the back.
I also have a Graco Turbo Boost but wont be able to use this for quite a while.

thanks in advance

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hi! Hopefully we can help you out.

Neither of the convertibles you have will fit a newborn, unfortunately.

Narrow seats don't have to be expensive! I'd get a Harmony Defender for the 4 year old, and put it in the center rear with a tether. I'd put the 15 month old rear-facing in the Guide 65 on one side and rear-face the 2 1/2 year old in another Guide 65 on the other side. Then if you want a convertible for the baby, I'd get an Evenflo Titan 65/SureRide. The three seats should cost under $300 total.

Of course, I'm not sure whether the Guide works outboard there, but I don't recall reports of problems with rear-facing seats there as much as with forward-facing... Hopefully someone with a better idea if this will work will come along soon to give their opinion. :)

J-max

CPST Instructor
Hi, I had a 2000, and now have an 08. I'll try to help as much as possible, as I am in the almost same boat as you (I have a middle row bench) :)

First, you can not sub in a middle row bench in your vehicle. The floor set up is not the same and the captains chairs and bench seating have completely different attachment set up.

FF radians are a no-go in the third row :( A rear facing one may work in the center, if it fits between the captains chairs (I know if works on the pass outboard if the flip up seat is down), but there is not enough front to back space for one on either side with the seat in front in use.

Is your third row tether for the center or the outboard driver's side? You have to look in your manual, as both were options in some vehicles, and in some it specifies which one.

Just as an example, what my plan is right now, is to put 8 year old in an incognito, Aton infant seat center, and 10 in my third row, then 15 year old in flip up seat, 2 RF in Nextfit, and 6 year old in Frontier in my middle row.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC