vehicle crashed into while parked

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
Replace seats? I've never really thought about it before because we live on a 30mph street in a small town. Yesterday, though, some drunk driver smashed into a parked van down the street. I mean hard enough to spin the moving van around and I think pushed the parked van into a pole. We have eventual plans to put a parking pad in the backyard but probably not this year and we don't really want to tear up the yard by parking there all the time without at least gravel down. Obviously this kind of thing doesn't happen often at all and there's a slim chance this will even be an issue but I just really hope it doesn't happen to my van. There's close to $800 worth of seats in there.

ADS

DogznKatz

A crashed seat is a crashed seat.

If your seats manufacturer says replace after any crash, then you replace.

If your manufacturer says to follow NHTSA's guidelines after a crash then follow those. Obviously, there were no injuries in your vehicle and I don't imagine airbags deployed. Was a seat next to a vehicle door hit? Was the vehicle drivable? Is there any visible damage to the car seats? If yes to any of these questions, you must replace them.

tiggercat

If there is damage to the vehicle, i'd probably replace.

A friend had her car hit while it was parked in front of my house last NYE. The body/frame underneath the bumper was damaged (not just the cosmetic outer) and the vehicle was pushed/turned by the impact. I suggested replacement, and her insurance covered it. It might have helped that I talked to the insurance lady on the phone and explained that I was a tech and said that in my expert (heh) opinion, they should be replaced.

sirrahn

A long time ago DH's car got crashed into while parked at work. A truck pulling an improperly attached trailer went too fast over the nearby railroad tracks. The trailer came flying off, hit one car which smashed into DH's which smashed into another one. Big mess and yes, their insurance replaced the carseats that were in the backseat.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
A long time ago DH's car got crashed into while parked at work. A truck pulling an improperly attached trailer went too fast over the nearby railroad tracks. The trailer came flying off, hit one car which smashed into DH's which smashed into another one. Big mess and yes, their insurance replaced the carseats that were in the backseat.

That's good to know. I guess I'm most afraid of the potential fight with insurance to get them replaced because the company would say they didn't need replaced when they really did.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
That's good to know. I guess I'm most afraid of the potential fight with insurance to get them replaced because the company would say they didn't need replaced when they really did.

In my case it was obvious because of the visible damage, but I would have kePt going up the chain of command regardless. I made them pay for a front end alignment they felt wasnt needed and wasn't a service offered by the body shop. Crash broke the front axle, but I had to fight to get them to acknowledge that as the most probable reason the vehicle was pulling right and that it wasn't a preexisting problem.

Athena

I'm not clear why it would matter that the van was parked, especially parked on a road with that type of crash force.

I feel differently about a car parked in a parking lot with a minor hit. Yet, Graco doesn't. Their FAQs indicated yes, replace, but I still called and said really, even if it's minor, the car was just dented, and the car and booster seat were unoccupied? Yes, it has to be replaced. :mad:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC