convertible carseat for preemie

T

texaspeach

My niece was born at 25w and is now 10w old. She will hopefully be leaving the hospital in about 2 months. She already weighs 3lbs 15oz and we suspect she will weigh over 5lbs at discharge. However she is tiny and we need a seat with low harness slots. (If she is not 4lbs I can borrow a 4lb seat that has been stored properly, not in any crashes, etc, etc., from a very trusted friend who also had a preemie last year).

In my search for seats I came across the graco size4me 65 which is rated from 4 - 65lbs. It looks very much like the my ride 65 and RF to 40lbs. I personally love our myride 65 and it kept my (tiny!) 5 year old RF for a long time. In the interest of saving money I was considering getting a convertible rather than an infant seat for the first year and then switching to another seat for ERF.

my question for you all is do you feel this seat would be appropriate for a preemie? I should ask the hospital if they can do a carseat test in a convertible seat or if it needs to be an infant seat (anyone know off hand what the norm is? I have no issue installing a seat very quickly and properly). Baby will likely be on oxygen via nc (nose tube) if that matters.

ADS

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
For what I've read, the MySize/Size4me/Headwise seats fit average newborns, but for a small or petite newborn or preemie, I'm not sure it would work that well.

If you're really wanting to get a convertible, and you have access to an infant seat to borrow, you could get the convertible and just borrow the infant seat until the convertible fits well. I would recommend you try the convertible out in whatever vehicle it will be in, as it will need to be at the full newborn recline for quite a while, which tends to take up a little more space than when you have an older (and term) baby that can be more upright. Is the baby only going to be in one vehicle? If not, I'd recommend you consider more closely an infant seat. You may be able to install a convertible quickly in multiple vehicles, but if this isn't your child, you may not always be around to do it.

As for the car seat test, technically they should be able to do it in a convertible. It just needs to be the seat the child will use in the vehicle at the same recline angle as it would be in the vehicle. That said, there are a lot of people who are clueless about convertibles, and nurses are no exception, so the hospital very well may say they require an infant seat just out of ignorance. You may be able to (nicely) educate them, but I wouldn't make it a big fight. If they insist on an infant seat, bring in and go home in the borrowed infant seat and then have your ped or neo test the baby in the convertible in the office.

One final thing to consider... If she's on oxygen, the tank or concentrator is going to be a projectile (that probably weighs more than the baby at first). Make sure you have a way to secure it and see that it gets secured every time.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I believe the insert changed on the version rated from 4, to fit smaller babies better?

The Pria with Tiny Fit is rated from 4 and fits a tiny baby. Coccoro is rated from 3 and fits some small babies well.

U

Unregistered

thanks for the input! I think we'll probably go with an infant seat so the ease of carrying her (I wore my babies in a SSC or wrap but I don't know that will be possible with this wee one).

krasota

Nothing wrong with wearing a preemie in an upright tummy to tummy position. Been there, done that. The leads might get in the way if she goes home on monitors, but you just unhook, then hook back up.

I wanted a convertible, too, but was told that my DD would likely be around 5lbs at discharge. She refused to eat, however, and enjoyed her apnea episodes, so she was 40w5d when she came home and right at 7lbs. I'd bought a bucket by then, but she could've gone home in a convertible after all.

To be honest? I'd wait to buy a seat until they tell you that they want to do a carseat challenge. Then buy it.

henrietta

I would do an infant seat that fits preemies, no matter her size or when she's discharged. Preemies are different. They sleep more, need less stimulation at first, sometimes have sensory issues, etc. If she comes home with equipment, that's another consideration. An infant seat will allow her to be moved when she's asleep, conserving energy...give her a canopy to block out sun or just block extra stimulation...allow you to keep her warm easier in the winter with a cover....etc...I much prefer the infant seat w/itty bitties. I can't even imagine moving my 29 weeker in and out of his seat more than I had to. It tired him out just leaving the house. I'd get a long lasting bucket like the Graco Click Connect 35 or 40 or the Safety First OnBoard.

Best wishes & hope she's home soon!!!

henrietta

It is especially important that preemies spend as little time in the car seat outside the car as possible, even more than term babies.

I knew as soon as I hit post, that someone would misinterpret that. Lol All three of my babies have been preterm, none have flat heads, none were left to sleep in their infant carriers, & all were worn A LOT in carriers. All have co slept. And again, preemies require less stimulation in those early days when they first come home. That doesn't mean leave them in their seat all day, but when you have to run multiple errands in & out at once and you must take the baby, an infant seat can be a very valuable tool for a preemie. (-;

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC