Hints for long commute?

Stresch

We just got off the wait list for the day care at my job. It's a much nicer facility and seems like it will be a better fit for us. However, it's quite a ways away. I've been taking the train, but I won't be able to do that with the kid (the company runs a shuttle from the station and that's a no go with a child). So, I'll be driving about 25 miles each way. When our lease is up next year, we'll be moving closer, but for the next 9 months, this will be our situation.

Sanna is really good in the car, and she'll probably sleep for some of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations to make the drive easier and/or safer?

We did back up care there yesterday, and almost every car in the lot had a Britax. I even saw a car with 2 Regents. I have to hope the mis-use will be lower than at her current place where there had been more than one instance of a parent tearing out of the parking lot without even buckling their kid in.

ADS

natysr

We commute about 90 miles each way. We are lucky in that we are always together, so there is always an extra, adult who is not driving to attend to our son.

But basically, in the mornings, he sleeps most of the way. He only wakes up about the last 1/2 hour before we get there. So then he drinks milk in the car and sometimes eats a nutripals bar.

In the afternoons we do alot of singing, and reading books, and listening to music and playing I Spy out the window. Of course your dd is a bit young for that game, but you could listen to music and sing etc.

He also has a snack in the car on the way home.

When he was younger we used the DVD player quite a bit in the car, but now that he is older, we can play more games.

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
However, it's quite a ways away. I've been taking the train, but I won't be able to do that with the kid (the company runs a shuttle from the station and that's a no go with a child). So, I'll be driving about 25 miles each way.

Hehehe. Not to poke fun at you, but 25 miles away sounds wonderful to drive! I always drive to work with Princess (when i work days that is) and it's just really all about a routine. It's so much easier when you get into a routine and she knows she's going in the car for a little longer.

On the drive there, i'm sure she'll still be waking up which will be quiet, and on the drive home, maybe she'll catch a little cat nap. Perhaps thats wishful thinking though. Really, just leave home a little earlier for the first few weeks to smooth out any transitional daycare bumps, pack some extra soft toys incase she's a little cranky in the car (new toys would even be better because they hold their attention just a smidge longer), maybe some new and exciting kids CDs for some listning entertainment, and enjoy some extra time with your DD in the car! :thumbsup:

Melizerd

I wouldn't worry about 25 miles either. We drive 3x that some days.

I think you'll be surprised at how easy it is.

natysr

Of course, not every 25 miles is created equally. Commuting 25 miles through Los Angeles does not sound like my idea of a good time.

Where do you live?

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
Of course, not every 25 miles is created equally. Commuting 25 miles through Los Angeles does not sound like my idea of a good time.

Where do you live?

I live in Chicago so I understand your 25 mile trip might turn into what feels like a 200 mile trip. I know Chicago isn't as bad as LA though! Rush hour isn't my friend.

Stresch

I too live in Chicago, although I will be commuting to the suburbs. They just last week started construction on the expressway I'm going to need to take.

Luckily, kiddo is now tall enough to see out the window. I am actually looking forward to seeing her more, although not really looking forward to sitting in traffic.

skaterbabs

We have a lot of long commutes in our family history. One of the things we do, which really seems to work well for my kids, is listening to books in the car. We're almost through Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (that's a LONG one, it's taken nearly three months!) and I found that listening to the books gives the boys something to do besides argue. :whistle:

southpawboston

We have a lot of long commutes in our family history. One of the things we do, which really seems to work well for my kids, is listening to books in the car. We're almost through Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (that's a LONG one, it's taken nearly three months!) and I found that listening to the books gives the boys something to do besides argue. :whistle:

that sounds like a good idea. at what age did they start listening to audio books (and really focusing on them)?

not to rub it in to anyone here, but my commute is a whopping 2.47 miles (as reported on my bike computer :p). at an average speed of 11.45 mph that's about 12.94 minutes. :) back when we lived in SoCal and before kids we each had our own commute of >45 minutes by car.

brightredmtn

A flexible kind of sun shade (flexible because they wouldn't hurt if they hit you in an accident) helped with our 17 mile commute. Poor DS always had the sun in his eyes RF because I worked west of where we live. So he faced east on the morning drive there and west on the drive home.

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
I too live in Chicago, although I will be commuting to the suburbs. They just last week started construction on the expressway I'm going to need to take.

LOL you should be used to the never ending construction then :whistle: They open one expressway up, and close another the next week. It never ends!!!! :mad:

Really you should be fine commuting if you're not going into the city during rush hour. I'm going to be sooo excited when 355 opens up! Bummer about not being able to take her on the train though. Saves you so much money and it's so fun.

Stresch

Well, we just moved here from Southeast Michigan, so I'm not quite used to the big city yet. The morning commute seems fine, but coming back into the city at 5 is nuts. And I cannot get used to seeing motorcyclists without helmets. Crazy people.

That's good advice about the sunshade. That should help with the sleeping in the seat. I'll also need to get something to protect the seat from her winter boots now that her legs are long enough to touch.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The book Baby Days by Barbara Rowley has some good suggestions. Not all of them are safe, but there were a few that I thought were good. If your local library has it, it's worth checking out.

skaterbabs

that sounds like a good idea. at what age did they start listening to audio books (and really focusing on them)?

We really just started this year, in the spring. We've been going through each of the HP books in order. Since the total time spent in that vehicle is pretty low this time of year (the Jeep doesn't have a radio, forget a tape or cd player!), it's taking a while to go through book 5. But even Joyjoy listens and talks about what she hears. But I would imagine if you find a book written for a younger kid (think "Little Bear", "Winnie the Pooh", "Cat in the Hat" or "Madeline", ect) that would get the attention of even an itty bitty.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC