Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Need New Tires for 2011 Pilot EX-L w/4WD

I've got 48k on original tires and they NEED to be replaced ASAP. I've browsed the Piloteer's forum a bit but I know very little of technical aspects so I'm hoping someone here may be able to give some layman help.

4WD 2011 Pilot EX-L

We live north of Seattle. This is the primary family vehicle, but I'm a stay at home mom and we home school. We get a few snow days each year, but I have the ability to mostly just stay home with inclement weather.

Good handling in wet conditions is high priority being in the northwest.

Long tire life (bang for the buck) is also high priority.

Good fuel economy is always a plus but secondary to safety/performance and longevity.

Pretty much only looking at Michelin and Bridgestone and will be purchasing at Costco.

These look like the top contenders but open to all other suggestions:
    Michelin LTX M/S ($713/set of 4)
    Michelin Latitude Tour ($689/set of 4)
    Michelin LTX A/T2 ($649/set of 4)
    Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia ($619/set of 4)
    DS1 (April '09) Britax Parkway SGL & Clek Olli, DD (March '12) Britax Frontier 90 & Evenflo Maestro, DS2 (April '15) RF Nuna Rava & RF Clek Foonf
    2011 Honda Pilot
    2009 Honda Ridgeline

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Need New Tires for 2011 Pilot EX-L w/4WD

My tire guy strongly recommended the LTX MS/2. They are also highly recommended on the piloteers forum and on Tire Rack.

I ended up with Firestone Destination LE2 for about $200 cheaper on my Pilot. They were also highly recommended. I would have done the Michelin's if my budget would have allowed it.
    Emily, mom to
    C- 9 yrs, 74 lbs, Topside & LiteRider
    A- 6 yrs, 48 lbs, Vivo & HB Turbo
    C- 3, 33lbs, Roundabout 50, Radian & Pioneer

CPS Technician
    Doesn't look like the LTX M/S2 is available in the OE size for my Pilot, only the LTX M/S.
    DS1 (April '09) Britax Parkway SGL & Clek Olli, DD (March '12) Britax Frontier 90 & Evenflo Maestro, DS2 (April '15) RF Nuna Rava & RF Clek Foonf
    2011 Honda Pilot
    2009 Honda Ridgeline

Carseat Crazy

Hmm... that's weird. With a little research I found that the tread is the same, just the rubber compound is a bit different.
    Emily, mom to
    C- 9 yrs, 74 lbs, Topside & LiteRider
    A- 6 yrs, 48 lbs, Vivo & HB Turbo
    C- 3, 33lbs, Roundabout 50, Radian & Pioneer

I put Michelin Latitude Tours on my Highlander. Probably among the best of the low rolling resistance tires available for fuel economy purposes. No complaints. My other choice was the Continental Cross Contact LX20 Ecoplus, but they were hard to find at the time. My OEM tires were crummy. They were Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400, which are probably quite different from the Ecopia ones you listed.

Aren't the LTX M/S quite a course tread? I recall DH had those and they were more a mud/snow tire. I wouldn't put those on unless you need to drive in snow and it sounds like you don't.
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

We replaced the tires on my Pilot last year and went with General Grabber HTS, an all weather tire, we do get a lot of snow/rain here but its definitely not a snow tire. I like them better than the Michelin's that were on it before.
    L 12/08 riding in a Zebra FR90 52lbs 48in
    J 12/11 riding rfing in a Laguna G4 BLVD 28lbs 35in

A 10/14 riding in a SS1!

CPS Technician
    Just wanted to update and say we went with the Michelin Latitude Tours and are very happy with them. Road noise and vibration are much lower and my MPGs went up slightly (19 on old tires, 20.3 on the new ones in the last 3 weeks).
    2011 Honda Pilot
    2009 Honda Ridgeline

10. Thank You from: