Question 2014 Nissan Rogue 2nd row seat belts w/car seats

U

Unregistered

I'm car shopping and the 2014 Nissan Rogue is at the top of my list. Noticed today that the 2nd row center and driver side seat belts sort of cross. The center belt originates toward the middle of the driver side seat (past the buckle for the driver side seat). Does anyone know if there is a problem installing carseat/boosters in the 2nd row in these positions. I thought I read somewhere that it is bad for the seat belts to "cross." Wish I'd have thought to snap a picture.

For us it would be an outboard booster, a FF outboard Diono Radian, a Bumble Bum in the middle. I've measured and practiced it and the width is fine for our seats. Just concerned about the wonky seat belts.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
If they cross to an extreme degree, you can't install carseats next to each other because they sit on each other's belts. Sometimes belts cross when empty but uncross when buckled and pulled tight though and it's fine.

I'm not sure that statement is actually english but I'm too caffeine deprived to sort it out. Hopefully somebody will come along and explain better.

U

Unregistered

LOL safeinthecar! That actually makes perfect sense. I didn't notice any of this until after the experiment so I don't know if the belts actually cross when buckled. I also didn't notice if the center seat belt originated beyond the LATCH anchor on the driver side. A few minutes ago I thought I'd found my answer because according to the NissanUSA.com SnugKids Child Restraint Fit Guide a Bumble Bum should be installed outboard only and written at the top of each page is "Important note for 2nd row installation: Do not install any CRS in the center position."

However, the owners manual shows a picture on page 1-37 of a CRS with a top tether attached to the ceiling and states on page 1-38 that "A child restraint with a top tether strap should only be placed in the center position of the 2nd row if there are no 3rd row occupants." The manual was printed in May 2014 but the SnugKids Guide does not say when it was printed.

Hoping a tech will weigh in. Thanks for your help!

henrietta

Just a thought, too. Sometimes, the seatbelts aren't actually crossed at all. They get can pushed over when the seats are folded down/forward. I'd flip the backs forward and/or totally fold the seats flat (if the Rogue allows for that to make a full cargo area) and look and see. My Volvo's belts were really close. Too close for buckling a booster easily, but it was easier when I discovered the middle belt was caught on something under the seat! LOL ;)

SNAmama

Not to confuse things - but didn't the snug kids guide from Nissan say do not put a child in the middle seat of the 2014 Rogue? snugkids screenshot below

(by belts overlapping, is that the same issue that the rav4, highlander, etc have?) Rav4 image:
center-seatbelt-buckled.jpg

(of course, Nissan's car seat page also suggests using seat protectors which techs do not allow (unless specifically tested with the seat by the manufacturer) so i'm not sure what's going on with their page.)

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org

Attachments

• image-884607786.jpg
    image-884607786.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 18
U

Unregistered

Thanks Henrietta we'll check for that when we go back. I've been there a couple of times (with car seats so they think I'm crazy) but didn't think to look for this.

SNAmama, the SnugKids guide says not to put a child restraint in the middle seat. But the manual says you can, but not to use the ceiling tether if people are in the 3rd row. That is another reason I am confused. By the way, the middle 2nd row seat belt in the 2014 I'm looking at originates from the top of the seat rather than the ceiling like in the picture you posted and like it does in the RAV or Mitsubishi Outlander.

I've gotten what looks and feels like a safe install in the center 2nd row with a FF Diono Radian but I'm not sure many other seats except a BumbleBum would fit there because it is narrow. (My son is heavy so we must use the seat belt instead of LATCH, there is no center LATCH in this vehicle) Install wise, I've then been able to properly install car seats FF (Recaro using LATCH or seatbelt) and HBB (Recaro and Evenflo using seatbelt), & NBB (Evenflo) in the 2nd row passenger side seat with the Diono Radian installed center. Once the Diono Radian is installed center 2nd row, the seatbelt for the driver's side doesn't seem to be a problem anymore unless you try to put a car seat in the driver's side. If it's just a person they don't seem to cross anymore. But this configuration defeats the purpose of having a 3rd row since you can't use it with a seat tethered in the center 2nd row.

Sooooooo, I also tried the Diono Radian in the passenger side 2nd row with a BumbleBum in the center. Got a safe install on both as long as you don't try to put a car seat in the driver's side 2nd row because that messes up the buckles again. Except a BumbleBum, that works. I'm certain this would work using LATCH on the Diono Radian because the LATCH is seat specific to the driver and passenger sides and doesn't encroach on the center seat. This allows me to have 3 across in the 2nd row and 2 in the 3rd row, really using all 7 seats.

The whole thing is kind of weird. Maybe it's that not really crossing when pulled tight thing safeinthecar was talking about. Anyway, hope all of my crawling in and out ends up helping someone else too.

Thanks to all who wrote in. I'll probably never need to use all 7 seats anyway!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC