Question When to forward-face and when to low back booster?

jwoodbri

Been rethinking our carseats...

I have 2 children rear facing in MyRide 65s. My daughter is almost 5 and I've been debating turning her around. She's only 30lbs and 38.5” tall though so she has a ways to go before she hits the seats limits. My 3 year old son happens to be about the same size and I wonder if he will protest if I turn one but not the other. (30.5 lbs, 36.5” tall)

My older boys (7 and almost 9) are both in Frontiers which I will keep using in my car. I have one Graco high back booster that we use as an alternate... a Turbobooster. Would my oldest be fine at this point in a low back booster for an alternate seat? It would be easier now that he goes with friends a fair amount. Or should I get 2nd HBB? The almost 9yo is 64lbs and 53” while the 7yo is 51lbs and 47”.

Thank you!

Last edited:
ADS

bubbaray

Id turn your two youngest and put them in the FRs. Id buy a LBB for the 9yo and a HBB or LBB for the 7yo.

tiggercat

I'd keep the 3yo RF, turn the 5yo FF, keep the 7 and 9yo in HBB (frontiers if the fit is good) in the primary vehicle. I'd be perfectly fine with both 7&9 year olds in backless boosters for carpooling (as long as they have vehicle head support to tips of ears).

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
So, just be be sure I'm following, all the seats you currently have are fine, not crashed or expired or about to be outgrown, but you are looking for advice on whether to turn the 5 yo and to use a backless booster as a spare for the 9yo.

Both the 5yo ffing and the 9yo in a backless are safe at this point. Some kids don't like the MyRide ffing because it often installs just as reclined forward as rear facing and that feels weird with nowhere to prop their feet. Some kids don't seem to notice at all. Also, sometimes it is impossible to get a correct install on the MR ffing because the vehicle seat contours leave large gaps behind or under the carseat, so that may end up being an issue. If she's not comfortable ffing in the MR or it doesn't install well, you could put her in 9yo's Frontier and let him move to a booster full time.

Whether your 3yo will kick up a fuss at not being turned I don't know. If he does and you are comfortable turning him, that is certainly an option for a 3yo. If you do not want to turn him, you can play up big sister being 5, and give him some other special privilege for being 3. All 3 of my kids (5, 7, and 10 at the time) needed a new seat setup at about the same time. The oldest was moving into the seatbelt alone, the middle was inheriting her old seat, and the youngest was getting a brand new seat. In an attack of middle child syndrome, the boy was FURIOUS that he neither got to ditch the carseat like big sister, or get something new and cool like younger. I would have happily bought him a new seat too (because...carseat nerd) if something new would have worked in the space where I needed it to go, but nothing did, so I let him pick out a new cover for the old seat instead and he was satisfied.

If she ends up in the Frontier, you can simply not tell the 3yo that his seat goes ffing. Maybe try out the ffing MR with him not there so you can keep that a secret, LOL.

jwoodbri

So, just be be sure I'm following, all the seats you currently have are fine, not crashed or expired or about to be outgrown, but you are looking for advice on whether to turn the 5 yo and to use a backless booster as a spare for the 9yo.

Yes. That is what it all boils down to. :)

Both the 5yo ffing and the 9yo in a backless are safe at this point. Some kids don't like the MyRide ffing because it often installs just as reclined forward as rear facing and that feels weird with nowhere to prop their feet. Some kids don't seem to notice at all. Also, sometimes it is impossible to get a correct install on the MR ffing because the vehicle seat contours leave large gaps behind or under the carseat, so that may end up being an issue. If she's not comfortable ffing in the MR or it doesn't install well, you could put her in 9yo's Frontier and let him move to a booster full time.

I did try to install her seat FF in another car for a short ride and wasn't pleased with the install so thanks for the heads up. I had forgotten about that. I'll try it out first since I wasn't thinking it could be a problem and never considered her in the Frontier. (She is so tiny!) But my DH wouldn't be excited to get her a new seat just because it didn't sit well. (I can have a tech check it if it is iffy.) And I will certainly try it out in secret so the 3 yo. doesn't see. lol. I had been thinking of telling him it was a special 5 yo thing for now. They haven't complained at all about RFing so far but the little guy always wants to do what the big kids do!

Thanks for the advice!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC