kick mat safety and rec and sun shield rec please

Athena

I think the consensus in the past was that a lightweight kickmat is okay to use on newer front seats, because it's not enough weight to affect the sensors. However, I came upon a thread discussing the potential to block the torso airbags exit path. The kick mats I have now attach in two places, up high onto the head rest bars and low down along the seat bight. Is that okay? How can I tell for sure if I'm blocking anything?

Also, my current kick mats don't appear to be water proof and would work better being a bit longer, as the kids sometimes manage to get their feet underneath the bottom edge. Recommendations? Although I don't love the black and would prefer gray, the Britax ones look nice. Do they offer good coverage? Vehicle manufacturers don't sell anything like this, right? They should sell machine washable, safe with your car, and matching your interior kick mats, although they'd probably charge $160 for them.

Finally, we don't have tinted windows and DD2 is complaining a lot about her seat getting hot and DD1 complains about the bright sun. How well do those cling sun shades work? Can you still open the windows? Brand recommendations?

Thanks for all the help!!!

ADS

jacqui276

I have the Britax kick mat and had it on the back of my front seat for a bit for driving my niece and nephew around (they always get foot prints all over my seats) but they would still just tuck their feet underneath it. It connects at the top and in the middle but the bottom just hangs. I do like it for using with DS's rear facing seat in the winter though.

DogznKatz

For sunshades, I always used hats and big white towels. Sunglasses as ds got older. throw the white towel over the seat when you take your kiddo out.

You can get cling tint from the auto parts store. At least you can see through it. The cling ons you can't see through create blind spots and that is a serious issue for all in the vehicle.

Athena

I have the Britax kick mat and had it on the back of my front seat for a bit for driving my niece and nephew around (they always get foot prints all over my seats) but they would still just tuck their feet underneath it. It connects at the top and in the middle but the bottom just hangs. I do like it for using with DS's rear facing seat in the winter though.

The elastic didn't look that far from the bottom, but you're saying it's far enough it doesn't work well? My current one isn't right at the bottom either, although it works most of the time. I haven't ruled out moving/adding ties to the bottom to go around the seat legs. Otherwise, does it provide a large area? Maybe I need to just get my hands on them and see how they work in my car, but I did't know if I should look at any other brands.

For sunshades, I always used hats and big white towels. Sunglasses as ds got older. throw the white towel over the seat when you take your kiddo out.

You can get cling tint from the auto parts store. At least you can see through it. The cling ons you can't see through create blind spots and that is a serious issue for all in the vehicle.

Which ones aren't see through? I hadn't realized there were any that weren't simply tinted areas. I would not want anything that created a blind spot. Do they sell window sized pieces or does it come in a roll?

The white towels are a great idea if I could train the kids to do it. :D Thanks!

xursusmaritimusx

i have the diono cling window cling shades. you can still see through them just fine.
i've had them on my windows for over 2 years and they stay on. never had a problem with them at all. taken them off and put them back on etc without any issues.

jacqui276

It still has a bit of a flap at the bottom and the elastic to attach it makes my front passenger seat super uncomfortable as the elastic hits the person about mid-back and doesn't sit flush against the seat. I wish that it was lower so that it would sit in the seat bite. If I get a chance to throw it in my car in the next couple days I will take a picture.

I love it for my rear facer though as it provides good coverage, is water proof and doesn't go under the seat so doesn't affect the install.

aept

We have the Brica kick mats from Target and they seem to fit the (backs of the) front seats correctly. The elastic is pretty new to the bottom and kinda tucks into the seat bight. I don't notice the elastic when I sit in the driver or passenger front seats.

Athena

i have the diono cling window cling shades. you can still see through them just fine.
i've had them on my windows for over 2 years and they stay on. never had a problem with them at all. taken them off and put them back on etc without any issues.

Thanks! I'll check those out.

It still has a bit of a flap at the bottom and the elastic to attach it makes my front passenger seat super uncomfortable as the elastic hits the person about mid-back and doesn't sit flush against the seat. I wish that it was lower so that it would sit in the seat bite. If I get a chance to throw it in my car in the next couple days I will take a picture.

I love it for my rear facer though as it provides good coverage, is water proof and doesn't go under the seat so doesn't affect the install.

I wish I'd known about that when I had a RFer. Sounds great! FYI the ones I have on now I have on a loose setting, so that the top is lower than the seat top, otherwise the elastic would probably sit too high on the seat. I don't know how adjustable the Britax ones are, but you might want to try that. For us, it's the lower part that gets really dirty.

We have the Brica kick mats from Target and they seem to fit the (backs of the) front seats correctly. The elastic is pretty new to the bottom and kinda tucks into the seat bight. I don't notice the elastic when I sit in the driver or passenger front seats.

Thanks! I'll check those out!

I've used the Britax kick mats for the last 8-9 months and love them. The elastic isn't that far from the bottom IMO. They provide great coverage. Their window clings don't work well in cold weather, but they work great in the summer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC