Help! What is after a convertible, or do I stay there? Plus product rec's needed

JillianMarie

We're replacing a Boulevard for our son, 3yrs 10 months, 41 inches tall, 36 lbs, I'm not positive on the way to measure his torso, but standing he's 21 inches from top of his hip down to the floor. The new seat will be outboard in our 2013 toyota Venza and next to a Chicco Keyfit 30 with the base (and a RF convertible after that) in the center position.

I'm a novice on car seats past the convertible stage. I tried 5 seats at BRU today, some convertibles and others were the Nautilus and Frontier style seats (not a booster, but not a convertible, what are those called?) I couldn't get a good install with MaxiCosi Pria70, Chicco Next fit, or the Evenflow Symphony. I didn't care for the Graco Argo (their latch connectors were the hook style like a tether, and I couldn't get the seat back out forever!)

I learned I don't like the hook style latch connector (tether style) or the new Smart Latch (the giant plastic ones). I prefer the small black and red basic latch connectors I'm used to; yes, I can and will do a seat belt install but I like the Latch option, especially passing this seat down to a younger sibling.

Toyota defers to seat weight limits. I anticipate we will always outgrow in height vs weight.

What should I buy next? Another convertible with a taller shell, another Britax convertible, a hybrid seat such as the Nautilus... Etc? I see he is technically able to go in a high back booster but he still seems like my little baby boy ;)

The one and only seat I liked today was the Graco My ride 65, but I see where it seems perhaps not as sturdy as the Britax line. Please let me know anything I should know, consider, or have wrong. I need a new seat before the end of this weekend. I have access to many retailers. Thank you!

ADS

jgomez411

We're replacing a Boulevard for our son, 3yrs 10 months, 41 inches tall, 36 lbs, I'm not positive on the way to measure his torso, but standing he's 21 inches from top of his hip down to the floor. The new seat will be outboard in our 2013 toyota Venza and next to a Chicco Keyfit 30 with the base (and a RF convertible after that) in the center position. I'm a novice on car seats past the convertible stage. I tried 5 seats at BRU today, some convertibles and others were the Nautilus and Frontier style seats (not a booster, but not a convertible, what are those called?) I couldn't get a good install with MaxiCosi Pria70, Chicco Next fit, or the Evenflow Symphony. I didn't care for the Graco Argo (their latch connectors were the hook style like a tether, and I couldn't get the seat back out forever!) I learned I don't like the hook style latch connector (tether style) or the new Smart Latch (the giant plastic ones). I prefer the small black and red basic latch connectors I'm used to; yes, I can and will do a seat belt install but I like the Latch option, especially passing this seat down to a younger sibling. Toyota defers to seat weight limits. I anticipate we will always outgrow in height vs weight. What should I buy next? Another convertible with a taller shell, another Britax convertible, a hybrid seat such as the Nautilus... Etc? I see he is technically able to go in a high back booster but he still seems like my little baby boy ;) The one and only seat I liked today was the Graco My ride 65, but I see where it seems perhaps not as sturdy as the Britax line. Please let me know anything I should know, consider, or have wrong. I need a new seat before the end of this weekend. I have access to many retailers. Thank you!

A harness to booster seat is called a combination seat (like the Frontier and Nautilus). At almost 4, I would be looking at a combination seat vs a convertible because he will get more use out of it. Are you planning on passing his current seat down to your younger child?

JillianMarie

The foam in the head wings snapped in half so I'm just replacing the seat all together. We have another Boulevard in our second car too. Anything I buy will hopefully last for my daughter, just 6 months now.

What are good combination seats both generally, and with ease of use LATCH systems preferably?

Thanks for the info so far!

The foam in the head wings snapped in half so I'm just replacing the seat all together.

Britax has fabulous customer service, give them a call and tell them what happened. If the seat isn't near expiry then the head wings can be replaced and that seat can be used for your daughter and you can get a combination (harness to booster) seat for your son. The Britax Frontier, Evenflo SecureKid and Harmony Defender are all great seats to look into.

DawgDad

I even have to throw in the Recaro Performance Sport. It doesn't get recommended enough on here when questions come up like this, but everywhere else it's one of the top 2-3 choices on the market (plus the Dad's prefer the look). My son is the same as yours (just a tad younger by a couple months), so you can definitely move him into one.

Oh, and [ame="http://www.amazon.com/RECARO-Performance-Combination-Harness-Booster/dp/B00B507FA2/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1402491458&sr=1-2&keywords=recaro+car+seat"]Amazon[/ame] has it 35% off this weekend for Father's Day. This is the cheapest I have ever seen it...$189.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC