Narrow convertible to fit next to Cybex Aton?

oakster

I'm hoping to fit a rear-facing convertible in the center of our tight backseat with our infant seat outboard on one side so that we can fit an adult (though obviously not a very big one!) on the other side. Right now we have a Marathon, and while this technically is feasible in that the two seats do physically fit next to each other, you have to shove the Marathon far enough over that the space remaining is not enough for an adult to comfortably sit. It looks like even picking up an inch or two (the Marathon is listed as being 19" across) would be enough to get it to work.

I know there's the Radian, but had read somewhere that the new Diono seats will be wider than the old ones--Amazon is still listing identical specs for the old and new seats, so I'm assuming that's not reliable info. Anyone know what the actual width would be at the widest point? (The conflict between the Aton and Marathon is at the handle/top of seat, not at the base.) What are my other options, besides the Foonf, which is not in the budget? Wish list also includes some sort of anti-rebound control (tethering or bar) and longer-lasting than the Marathon (my 2.5-year-old is not in any danger of outgrowing that soon, but don't want to get another convertible if it's not also going to be taller in case we need that for DC2). We can wait till August to buy.

We do have a Cocorro and I know I can use this for the newborn in a pinch to get the two seats in side-by-side since it's narrower than the Aton, but I'd really like to to be able to use the infant seat again. (My older child has pretty much outgrown the Cocorro rear-facing so can't swap it with the Marathon.) Are there any other narrow convertibles out there that might work? Thanks!

ADS

wavegal

The bottom portion of the new dionos will be the same as the radian as far as I know, iirc the top is only deeper sided not so much wider.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

ebp913

The Foonf, Safety 1st Guide 65 or Peg Perego convertible might work also. The Foonf and Guide are narrow and the Peg is pretty narrow (a little wider than the others) but it has a has a small base and sits up a bit so it may or may not puzzle well next to the Aton. You'd have to try it to be sure. I've had good luck fitting a Peg next to a Keyfit and a Coccoro in our spare car so that's why I suggest it.

The Foonf is only 17 inches wide also.

oakster

Thanks--I had thought of the Peg but then it was listed in the specs section as having about the same width as the Marathon. Maybe it would work if the lines on it are a bit different, though. Tried the Guide 65 earlier this spring but didn't get a great install in our car; might be worth revisiting, though.

The Foonf looks great, but just blows the budget (trying to stay under $300, and ideally closer to $200 since we already have two convertibles with just one car!) I will check out the Fllo if it's really out this summer since maybe that would be a good solution, but I'm not holding my breath on it being available in time.

That's also good news on the new Diono seats--I had seen a thread somewhere mentioning that they would be wider and thus not recommended for three-across situations, but if they're just deeper then that should work fine (assuming it fits in our car with the angle adjuster!) The last thing I can try, though not sure if it will make much difference, is to swap the Aton and the Marathon--I only tried it with the Marathon center and the Aton outboard. Not sure why/if that would make a difference, but who knows.

ebp913

There's a 20% off code for the Foonf website and the drift model is on sale. With shipping in the US it's like $270.

I have heard that the new Dionos aren't as good for 3 across bit I haven't seen on IRL yet. You may be right on the Marathon not being much better than the Peg. I agree on swapping the seats though and seeing if that helps. Using seat belt instead of the lower anchors seems to help also.

oakster

Thanks--I will take a closer look at the Foonf and see if it might work! (To further complicate things, although in a good way, also got DH to agree to opening the question of a new car entirely last night...not because of the car seats per se, but because our dog is not going to fit in the car with the two car seats in there, even if we can make room for the third adult, and his plan to get a carshare car whenever we all need to go somewhere is seeming more and more ridiculous by the day...so now also need to be sure any seat will work in one of the four cars we're considering. Everything we're looking at is at least a little bigger than our current car, though, so hopefully that means it won't be an issue!)

Luckily we do have a local store that carries both the Foonf and the Peg Perego so sounds like maybe it's time for a trip over there to see how the fit looks on those two. With luck maybe they will have the new Diono seats too...I thought they weren't available yet, but now see that Amazon seems to have them in stock? Anyone know if they are out to independent retailers yet?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC