Dd frustrated about buckling self

Mom2natalie

I told my six year old I want her to work on buckling herself into her booster this summer.

I have a 2012 ford focus and the buckles are pretty recessed.

She has a hard time buckling her Turboboosters herself. I give her extra time, don't rush her, but she gets so frustrated.

Is the parkway sgl more narrow/easier for kids to buckle? I can order it through target's site and get 5% off using my red card.

I like her two Turboboosters, but I do want her to be able to buckle herself.

ADS

aeormsby

My DS is 6.5yo and has never been as motivated as my DD to buckle himself. He usually buckles himself in our car where he just uses a Literider (NBB) but in the other vehicles he's just started trying to buckle on his own. With the Performance Booster it is pretty difficult to buckle (sometimes the booster scoots on top of the buckle) but he'll get out and push the booster off the buckle so he can buckle.

I don't have any experience with the Turbos but my DD has been buckling herself in her PW since we first got it (but like I said, she was always more motivated).

DawgDad

The problem here is not really with the seats, but rather the car. Ford has made the new seats in the back more comfortable at the expense of making the seat belt buckles easier to access. Which side are you trying to have her buckle up? If it's passenger side, it will be harder given that the middle seat belt buckle is right next to it. It will be easier if you slid her over to the driver side to buckle, but for car drop off at schools and such, that's a pain since she would have to crawl across the car to get out.

The Turbobooster is skinnier than the Parkway, so it should be easier.

jjordan

My dd rides in a turbobooster and is able to buckle it herself, despite not having very good motor skills, so I have to agree that it is probably the car and not the booster. You could certainly try another booster to see if it helps; is it easy to return the PW if it doesn't end up working out?

bubbaray

It might be a Ford thing. DD2 has a horrible time buckling herself in DHs Ford truck but is fine in my RAV4.

Mom2natalie

If it's passenger side, it will be harder given that the middle seat belt buckle is right next to it.

Yeah, I've thought the same thing. I like her on the passenger side so I can see her while I'm driving.

My cousin was in town last week and when she drove my daughter in her vehicle my daughter had no problem buckling her backless Turbobooster herself in that vehicle.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
You can try the opposite side of the car. The geometry there might be easier, or just using the opposite hand may help.

I wouldn't push her beyond gentle encouragement it if it's upsetting her though. The comfort of the extra security of mom buckling her might be greater than the thrilling prospect of being independent at this stage in her life.

Athena

My boostered DD occasionally rides in a car with very recessed buckles that are difficult for boosters, to the point us adults couldn't even buckle the turbo. The PKWY is what she uses there and it's still hard, but at least it's doable for us adults (probably for her too if she was in there more often), so I'd say if you can actually buckle the turbo, then the PKWY might give you and her that extra bit to make it doable for her. However, we have the 2012, so I'm not sure about the 2013, other than I've heard it's the same width. It seems worth a try, especially since it's returnable if it doesn't fit the car well. HTH.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC