Help choosing seat for long trip!

nylle

Hey guys!

I am mainly a lurker, but I am also a CPS tech and mom of two in seats. We are getting ready to go on a road trip from Florida to Indiana for a wedding, and I am driving myself insane trying to figure out what seats to take. I was hoping some of you guys who also obsess over seats could help. =)

I have dd, who is 3 with a 15" torso. She weighs 37lb. Her everyday seat is a radian 80. And ds is 2, 35 lb with a 14" torso. His everyday seat is a Boulevard.

I'm not sure how comfortable either of those seats will be for a long road trip. The Boulevard pushes ds's head forward, and we are planning to drive all through one night, so they will be sleeping a lot. It is an 18 hour drive. The radian just doesn't look that comfortable for long trips, and while I have it installed with the recline, dd's head still flops.

Here are the seats I have that I could use:
Radian80
Boulevard
Decathlon
Como

I could use them in any configuration...if I need two of any I can get two. They will be going in captians chairs, or possible one in a captain's chair and one in the 3rd row. I know all of the seats I listed can be solidly installed in my car.

Should I just use the Radian and Blvd, or is there something else that would be more comfortable for a long trip? I love both seats generally, but I want to make sure the kids are comfortable sleeping and riding for long periods.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get! I know it should be a simple decision, but I can't stop thinking of all the options!

Thanks,
Ellyn

ADS

keri1292

I'd go with the Como for your oldest, they seem super reclined when FFing and whichever seat gets you the best RF recline for your youngest. Have fun!

Hmmm...I just saw that he wasn't still RFing. Whichever seat gives him the most recline FF I guess. Most likely the DC.

Our kids sleep great in the car. I do adjust the recline when RFing for long trips to encoursge sleep and comfort, but you're past those days already. Just take a small blanket or stuffed animal for them to lean into.

Enjoy your trip!

nylle

I know. How I wish he was still rear facing! I keep weighing him in hopes he might lose some weight. lol. But it's probably not going to happen...he just turned two at the end of Sept. and he's a brick. I think I have to come to terms with the fact that our rear facing days are behind us. =) Makes me very sad.

Thanks for your help!

Ellyn

MumtotinyM

I agree with the pp, I would use the Como for your oldest. I don’t have much experience with the radian, but It doesn’t look like it would be very comfortable for a long drive. For your younger child I would use the decathlon or blv. If his head being pushed forward effects his comfort or sleeping then I would definitely bring the decathlon. If it doesn’t bother him then I would probably just use the blv, since its is every day seat. Good luck!:)

djma

I'm sure it's no where near close to the hours you'll be putting in - but we've taken a 5 hour trip (one way) w/ my 4yo in his Radian. He slept in it for about an hour (each way) and his head stayed back against the small sides. He never complained. I know each child is different - but it might not be too bad to try the Radian. Do you have room to bring along an extra? The Radian does fold. :p

steph

I would put your DD in the Como and your DS in the Decathalon(unless you think the BV is comfortable for him).

nylle

Thanks for everyones help! I did try installing the radian out from the seat bight a tiny bit and it helped the recline some and it is still not past the front edge of the seat, but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with it since ff installs are safer when more upright.

We'll probably go with either the como and blvd or decathlon and blvd, unless we get any more suggestions! Again, thanks for all of the help...I know all the options, but I just can't make a decision! lol.

Ellyn

henrietta

Too bad you don't have a Triumph Advance up your sleeve! DS loves to travel in it (older Triumph), but unfortunately, he's too tall to rearface in it anymore. FF'ing, it reclines, but we haven't used it that way yet, as we moved him to his Dec to keep him rearfacing. He seemed comfy on our last trip in the Decathlon, but he definitely preferred the Triumph that we used on our previous trips.

Pick whichever reclines the most and allows them the most room to prop/fold their legs up.

hths

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC