regent install ? recline bar/LATCH

skymcc

My babycatalog.com Regent just arrived, yeah!
I'm only 10 minutes into this install and already have an issue. I'm trying to do the Long Route LATCH install for my 33 lb ds.

My problem is that my LATCH anchors seem to be too close together. There's only 11.5" b/w the anchors and the recline bar measures about 14".

The manual says LATCH straps must pass on the outside of the recline bar, but my recline bar sits on the OUTSIDE of my Latch anchors! I'm going to try to attach a pic, so I hope that helps explain better.

I'm installing in a 2003 Lexus GX470 SUV on the passenger side. I thought it was easy to get the recline bar in...I just pushed it in them tapped it w/ a mallet to make sure it was in far enough like I had read here. Maybe I don't have it in right?

Also, the recline bar basically just hits where the crease in my seat back is...where the seats would fold down if that makes sense. It says to have it rest against the seat back, but it's just going into that crease where it doesn't look like it's doing much of anything. Is that a concern too?

Do I need to be doing the long route seat belt install instead?

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
ADS

MomToEliEm

I would try the seatbelt install using the long belt path and see if that is a better fit for you.

I have two regents, but I don't have latch, so I have only known how to do the seatbelt install (one long belt path and one short belt path).

On your picture, are you using the long belt path or the short belt path for latch? I thought with the long belt path latch, the latch strap had to go over the seat base above the cover, back through the seat and then back over the cover again before latching. From looking at your picture, I don't see the latch strap going over the cover. Since I have never done a latch install though, I may be wrong.

skymcc

I'm backed, soaked in sweat:eek:.

OK, I tried the LBP install but I couldn't get it tight enough. Our seatbelts just give about 1/2" of slack before "locking" off and no matter how much I tugged at it, I couldn't get it to lock tight enough for me.

Went back to LATCH. With the RAs, I had the seat reclined a little bit. I tried moving the seat to a more upright position and feel like I got a good install with LATCH that way. The recline bar is still laying on top of the LATCH connectors, but it's a solid install. I still feel like the recline bar isn't doing anything at all. It's just shoved down in the seat back crease, not resting on anything really. Just getting in the way, but my manual says to use recline bar at all times.

skymcc

On your picture, are you using the long belt path or the short belt path for latch? I thought with the long belt path latch, the latch strap had to go over the seat base above the cover, back through the seat and then back over the cover again before latching. From looking at your picture, I don't see the latch strap going over the cover. Since I have never done a latch install though, I may be wrong.

I'm trying to do the long belt path, but it doesn't sound at all like what you're describing here. Back to the manual and hot garage to make sure I have it right...thinking this could be the problem:rolleyes:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Sounds good. Did you pull your shoulderbelts all the way out and let them ratchet in tightly? That's how you should get them to lock solidly (otherwise they only lock when you brake, crash, or tug them fast)

skymcc

OK, checked to make sure I have the correct belt path for Long install. I do, I just didn't pull the LATCH belt over the cover. That's ok, isn't it?

When I pull my seat belts out, they don't ratchet back. They just slide back in slowly. To get them to lock, I have to give them a quick hard tug. The problem is, that still leaves just a little bit of slack in the seatbelt.

I'll post some pics soon of my final install to see how it looks. There's a car seat check on Nov 6 at our hospital, so I'll get it checked in person there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC