3 yr old in NYC taxi

U

Unregistered

We're driving up the east coast at the end of the summer and planning on taking leaving our car and taking the train in NYC. We think with luggage (and two kids) it would be easiest to take a taxi to our hotel. We plan on using subways other than that. What should my 3 year old ride in that is lightweight and easy to install? She's currently rear facing in a radian but I don't want to lug that around with us. We also have a safeguard go but I wasn't sure about the installation and tethers in taxis. We own an Evenflo sureride but I'm not wanting to take up the extra space in the car and she's happier in the Radian. She's currently 38" and almost 35lbs.

ADS

cantabdad

Will you have 2+ adults on this trip? If so, what we have done in the past is to have one parent take a taxi with all of the luggage, while the other parent follows with the kid(s) by subway. Much easier that way, and then you don't need a carseat at all while you're in town.

I'd also double-check that it's not cheaper just to drive straight to the hotel. When we go to NYC, parking is $38/night at the garage near the hotel... so if you're only there a few nights, it might be cheaper than the train tickets and will give you some additional flexibility.

If neither of those two options sound good, I agree with the previous poster to take the Sureride and install it FF. Note that in some taxis the top tethers are not available because of the aftermarket leatherette that covers the seats, but in general you shouldn't have too much trouble with installation.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Will you have 2+ adults on this trip? If so, what we have done in the past is to have one parent take a taxi with all of the luggage, while the other parent follows with the kid(s) by subway. Much easier that way, and then you don't need a carseat at all while you're in town.

I'd also double-check that it's not cheaper just to drive straight to the hotel. When we go to NYC, parking is $38/night at the garage near the hotel... so if you're only there a few nights, it might be cheaper than the train tickets and will give you some additional flexibility.

If neither of those two options sound good, I agree with the previous poster to take the Sureride and install it FF. Note that in some taxis the top tethers are not available because of the aftermarket leatherette that covers the seats, but in general you shouldn't have too much trouble with installation.

Or you could take a half-way approach. Bring your Go Hybrid. If the cab that comes to pick you up has top tethers and you can install the seat safely, awesome. If not, go to "plan b" and send one parent in the cab with the luggage & the other parent take the subway with the child.

A Ride Safer Travel Vest might not be a bad investment for the trip.

The UberFamily option linked on The Car Seat Lady's blog is also a great idea.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC