Flying British Airways with an infant--no RF seats?

Calimom743

I am flying BA Boston-London this summer with my two children, the younger of whom is 10 months. We bought a seat for the baby and I had assumed we could bring along her infant seat and install it on the plane, since I know BA allows car seats on board. I was just re-reading their policies, however, and was disturbed to see that they only allow car seats which can be installed FF--meaning no infant seats as far as I can tell. Is this true? I am now contemplating buying a convertible seat for her (posted questions about that in another thread), but wondering if anyone who has experience flying BA would care to weigh in on how strictly this rule in enforced? I'm not going to chance bringing her infant seat, but I was just wondering whether I would be permitted to install a convertible seat RF for her.

TIA!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Sorry, you won't be allowed to rear face. They're pretty strict about it. I'd try, but don't be surprised when they tell you to forward face.

Wendy

Adventuredad

I agree that BA are strict. Good thing is that using car seat on board the plane is irrelevant for safety according to all kinds of stats and data from FAA. If you really want to use a car seat on board place it rear or forward facing. Safety for your baby is the same regardless.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I agree that BA are strict. Good thing is that using car seat on board the plane is irrelevant for safety according to all kinds of stats and data from FAA. If you really want to use a car seat on board place it rear or forward facing. Safety for your baby is the same regardless.

Thanks for posting that opinion on a best practice safety board. :thumbsup:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The FAA says that all children should have a seat and use a car seat if under 40 lbs. Not sure how you'd get from that that it's irrelevant.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
In fact, their own site is quite clear on it.

Did you know that the safest place for your child on an airplane is in a government-approved child safety restraint system (CRS) or device, not on your lap? Your arms aren't capable of holding your child securely, especially during unexpected turbulence.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) strongly urges you to secure your child in a CRS or device for the duration of your flight. It's the smart and right thing to do so that everyone in your family arrives safely at your destination. The FAA is giving you the information you need to make informed decisions about your family's travel plans.

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/

The AAP is also clear on such things.

Occupant protection policies for children younger than 2 years on aircraft are inconsistent with all other national policies on safe transportation. Children younger than 2 years are not required to be restrained or secured on aircraft during takeoff, landing, and conditions of turbulence. They are permitted to be held on the lap of an adult. Preventable injuries and deaths have occurred in children younger than 2 years who were unrestrained in aircraft during survivable crashes and conditions of turbulence. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends a mandatory federal requirement for restraint use for children on aircraft. The Academy further recommends that parents ensure that a seat is available for all children during aircraft transport and follow current recommendations for restraint use for all children. Physicians play a significant role in counseling families, advocating for public policy mandates, and encouraging technologic research that will improve protection of children in aircraft.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/108/5/1218.full

As is the National Traffic Safety Board.

The NTSB Child and Youth Transportation Safety Initiative will promote child occupant safety in all modes of transportation with a focus on educating parents and caregivers about ways to keep children safe when traveling. The NTSB will also continue to push for adoption of its recommendations concerning child occupant safety, such as:

Requiring separate seats and restraints for all airplane occupants, and requiring children younger than 2 to be restrained by an appropriate child restraint system during air travel

http://www.ntsb.gov/safety/children.html

Here's an article from Forbes about why the FAA doesn't require it, even though they so vehemently recommend against lap babies (if you take their own wording and simply turn it, not using one is stupid and wrong). http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngog...nsafe-it-would-require-kid-seats-right-wrong/

Considering my laptop must be stowed, and *I* must wear a seatbelt, what in the laws of physics protects a baby from the same fate that would happen to my laptop or myself if I was unrestrained, or my laptop was out? Even last year when I bought a seven pound doll for carseat demonstrations I put him under the seat in front of me on the plane so he wouldn't be a projectile and hurt anyone.

Wendy

Calimom743

Thanks Wendy for the advice and setting the record straight. I am going to write to BA and complain--it's a horrible policy for anyone traveling with an infant as it effectively prohibits anyone from bringing an infant seat on board. Meaning you have to check it, which I absolutely hate to do. Fortunately my baby is big enough to fit in a convertible seat, which I can carry on and at least she'll be safely rear-facing in the rental car once we get there.

I thought the following article (via the Carseat Lady's blog) was very interesting regarding forward vs. rear-facing on an airplane. Just like on the ground, rear-facing is safer (even if the chances of crash are incredibly rare).

http://www.airspacemag.com/need-to-know/Need-to-Know-Aft-Facing-Seats.html

cantabdad

I agree that BA's policy makes no sense, but they are following the regulations from their air safety regulator, the UK CAA. CAA only allows forward-facing carseats (technically, the rule is that it must be facing the same direction as the aircraft seat), and *no* carseats for those under 6 months.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4_468.PDF

I believe that the British base all of this on their interpretation of some testing many years ago, in which RF carseats did not appear to perform well, though there is some US testing in which they performed better than FF seats. Seatbelt geometry has also improved over the years making it easier to secure carseats.

Calimom743

I agree that BA's policy makes no sense, but they are following the regulations from their air safety regulator, the UK CAA. CAA only allows forward-facing carseats (technically, the rule is that it must be facing the same direction as the aircraft seat), and *no* carseats for those under 6 months.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4_468.PDF

I believe that the British base all of this on their interpretation of some testing many years ago, in which RF carseats did not appear to perform well, though there is some US testing in which they performed better than FF seats. Seatbelt geometry has also improved over the years making it easier to secure carseats.

Ah interesting I didn't know that. At least BA allows some carseats, unlike Virgin. As I mentioned, a big issue for me is wanting to avoid checking seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC