Skinny 6 year old and HBB? And "solid" 4 y/o and HBB?

6lilbits

I'm sorry for the million questions - it is so nice to be able to chat about these things with others who have experience.
I'm looking in to possibly getting 2 HBB for my 4 and 6 y/o (to replace 2 Nautilus' that take up way too much space in 3rd row).
My question is probably odd, but I read on here about certain boosters not fitting right on certain kids. I have a 4 y/o who is close to 50 pounds and is built solid, not chunky just not skinny:) She is average to tall for her age.I was looking at the Affix for her.
My 6 y/o is super skinny, about 45 pounds. He is on the shorter end of average. It would be nice just to get two of the same HBB but with their different body types, it might not happen.
So, I thought I would ask you all...
TIA

ADS

Baylor

I would get Parkways for both of them. They go nice and tall.

You can get the Parkway SGL which has the SG strap too.

Ask away! We love questions, it's why we're here!

The Affix sounds like a good choice for your 6 YO as it isn't a super tall booster but it fits skinny kids like a dream.

I would look at a Harmony Defender360, Graco Nautilus or Evenflo SecureKid for your 4 YO. We generally like to see children under 5 in harnesses simply due to the fact that most children at that age still sleep in the car frequently and lack the impulse control needed to sit properly in a booster 100% of the time, which is necessary for safety. The 3 aforementioned seats will harness until 65lbs and become HB boosters after that.

Even if your 4 YO is solid, she still has a 4 YO's behaviour and sleep patterns, presumably, so she may be better off harnessed in the primary vehicle for the next year or so :)

Hope this helps!

bbartlettnfld

Hi there!

I can say that I have experience with your exact situation!

My daughter (11 yrs) is super petite and always has been, and my DS (6 yrs)is HUGE and always has been.

My daughter started out in the SunshineKids (now Diono) Monteray and it was too wide for her petite stature. I moved her into a Britax Parkway SG and gave the Monteray to DS and it was prefect for his chunky self!

So try the Parkway for Skinny DD and the Diono Monteray for your more solid DD.

Hope that helps.

wavegal

I would look at the parkway or affix but make sure the seatbelt fits properly since you have a car that is known to have belt fit issues in the 3rd row seats. I believe the first years boosters have been found to fit well back there.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I asked this on your first thread, but I'm not sure you saw it since you haven't been back to that thread. So I'll ask again here. :)

Is there a reason not to move your 4 year old to the 2nd row captain's chair in his Nautilus and move your 8 year old to the 3rd row in a booster?

6lilbits

I did do just that today (move 4 y/o to 2nd and 8 y/o to 3rd). the problem now is that the shoulder strap for my 8 year old does not touch her body at all. its like 1-2 inches away from her. so now i am thinking i may have to get her another HBB to sit in back. this is ridiculous. i just bought the Harmony Defender last night for the 4 y/o but it looks likei will have to use that for my 6 y/o and get another HBB for 8 y/o. I just got 8 y/o a Clek Olli which is useless in the 3rd row because the Town & Country has tethers in between the outboard seat and middle seat so there is no seat belt. Thank you all for your ideas and advice - I greatly appreciate your knowledge:)

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Would a backless booster with a belt positioning clip work for the 8 year old? They have one for $13.50 at Walmart, the Harmony Youth Booster.

I'm afraid I'm not super familiar with the T&C so hopefully someone who has one and has done boosters in the back will be able to advise you on whether that would work.

Athena

The turbo (affix without latch) was the best fit for my very skinny, very tall DD at 6.5-7yo. A year later, she's almost outgrown it by height and now the PKWY is a better fit, but she's probably taller than your DD. Given you haven't given your DD's height and just said she's "super skinny", I'd choose the turbo/affix.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC